Your Position is Your Provision to Respond Faithfully

 

      This morning, as I read Joseph's story and his rise from lowly means to a high and exalted position, it brought back a memory from my youth.  When I was in my late middle school years, crewel embroidery was the rage.  Clothing was embellished with fancy designs.  I can remember making a pair of bib-pants out of lightweight denim and taking brightly colored yarn to decorate the pockets and down the leg of the pants.  And yes, I wore them proudly.  I was becoming known within my family as one who enjoyed arts and crafts.  At that time, one of my uncles I had a special bond with, born on the same month and day nineteen years apart, played in a volleyball league.  He had admired my embroidery work, so I asked my mom if I could make him a t-shirt.  Now, what fourteen-year-old girl has a concept of what might be manly, but apparently, I thought I did.  Not only did I plan to use brightly colored yarns, but somehow bright green sequins caught my eye.  We bought an iron-on pattern that we transferred from paper to the front of a t-shirt, which read 'Bloom Where You're Planted,' an appropriate saying to recognize when someone does not play their own position but moves all over the court.  I got busy and presented the handmade present to him on his birthday.   As an adult, I can clearly see how very much my uncle loved his young niece, as he was willing to make that his game shirt, regardless of the harassment he must have received.

     This phrase, 'Bloom Where You're Planted,' re-implanted itself in my mind as I read Joseph's story in the 39th through 41st chapters of Genesis.  Against his own desire, Joseph found himself in Egypt, no longer the favored son of his father's house, no longer dressed in a unique 'coat of many colors' but now positioned as a servant in the house of his master.  Joseph was not in his preferred dwelling place when he arrived, yet he bloomed where he was planted by the master of the house.  Joseph acquired a great deal of responsibility and honored God through his service.     

     After an unfortunate incident and wrongly-accused, Joseph was sent to prison.  Again, not an ideal set of circumstances, even though displeased with his situation, he turned to God.  I can only imagine, Joseph went from wearing fine clothes to a one-piece jumpsuit, probably with no elements of special embroidery.  Not relying on himself, nor shaking his fist at authority, Joseph decided to make the best of a bad situation.   He bloomed where he was planted.  It became apparent that God favored him as he was given management level authority while locked behind bars.

     It took much longer for release than he expected, but he didn't allow his attitude to overshadow his insight.  He didn't allow circumstances to determine how he would respond.  He trusted in God's plan and continued to worship Him even in a bad situation.  God provided not only the time but the means through which Joseph would experience his release.  Joseph became known as an interpreter of dreams.  He didn't take personal credit for acquiring this skill.  Joseph placed himself in the hand of God and became known as the one through whom God works.  No one had to question why Joseph seemed unusual in the way he handled his less than desirable circumstances.  Everyone that surrounded him knew that Joseph put his trust in and worshipped God.  Doubtless, Joseph recognized the miracle that had taken place when he moved from behind prison walls to the second carriage behind the Pharaoh in Egypt.  Joseph never forced his way into his position nor questioned the timing.  He made the best of his circumstances, and God blessed him.

     Christmas cards arrived this year, most of them containing notes to remind us of how people viewed 2020.  With each of these reminders, most inscribed their heart's desire that 2021 would be better than the past.  Have you noticed how the masses view the circumstances that have surrounded them in these past months?  When I review 2020, I look with gratitude.  Although our freedoms shifted, there has been ample opportunity to trust and serve God.  Maybe the stay-at-home order, mask-wearing, handwashing, and online church services have created restrictions. Can we agree that we, too, have been allowed the opportunity to 'bloom where we are planted?'  With each season of our lives, God is watching.  Jesus taught that those who are faithful with a few things, more will be granted (see Luke 16:10).  Can you look back over this past season with different hindsight binoculars?  Can you enlarge the lessons and minimize the inconvenience?  Our God is trustworthy through the storm.  Our attitudes should not be dependent on the circumstances that surround us; how we respond matters.  Did your light shine before man during the restrictions, or did you mirror the attitudes and actions of the world around you?  Do others recognize that you are favored by God?  In Joseph's story, we are told that the LORD blessed the Egyptian house for Joseph's sake (see Genesis 39:5). Those that surround us receive the blessing of God through us.    

Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you for the reminder to bloom where we are!

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me A Story

For When (i am) Weak, Then (I AM) Strong

What is a Gotcha Day?