What's My Motivation?


      As I read Scriptures, I am always trying to ascertain a personal application, and this morning my understanding was drawn to motivation.  In John 5:41-45, we read the passage where Jesus is talking to the Pharisees when he says, I do not receive glory from people.  But I know that you do not have the love of God within you.  I have come in my Father’s name, and you do not receive me. If another comes in his own name, you will receive him.  How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the only God? Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father. There is one who accuses you: Moses, on whom you have set your hope.   What stood out for me the most was the direction from which one seeks glory.

     Jesus, in human form, did not seek glory from those around him.  He diligently sought the will of the Father in everything that he did.  Unlike the Pharisees, who sought glory from men by doing things out in the open to be observed and praised.  After pondering these thoughts for a moment, I was reminded of a post that I read this morning on Facebook® from a fellow believer.  As I read her post initially, I found my heart speaking about what the motivation behind her post had been.  So often, we fail to recognize what truly motivates us to give our opinions and, as a result, miss how or why others may withdraw from us. 

     As I write my weekly articles, I am keenly aware that my flesh can quickly destroy the Scripture that I desire to share.  I know that my human heart often deceives me.  It isn't easy to evaluate ourselves.  That is why I must ask the Holy Spirit to oversee the work of my hands.  I hope someday I will hear well-done.  In humility, I must recognize that anything done in my power and might is worthless.

There isn’t a thing that I do that isn’t motivated by something underneath.  We, as humans, express opinions all the time.  That is why we desperately need the Holy Spirit’s guidance.
     The post I read this morning was neither right nor wrong, but the way I received it was driven by my opinion.  At first glance, the impression that it left on my heart was, for some reason, this person wants to appear holy, excellent, righteous, and loving, but why?  Who might they have assumed their audience to be?  Were they looking for people who agreed with them?  Were they looking to correct those who disagreed with them?  Why was it necessary for them to share how they see things in the world?

     I often catch myself judging others.   It is easier to judge than evaluate ourselves.  I find this awareness allows me to see what God’s Word has to say about my external response to the world as well as my internal evaluation of myself.  We want to think of ourselves as righteous individuals, whether we are a believer in Jesus Christ or not.  When I assume my opinion is right, sound, wholesome, and perfect, who am I making out to be wrong, unsound, unwholesome, or imperfect?  When I allow God’s Word to guide my thoughts and my actions, there is a higher chance that not only my motivation will be better, but my thoughts, words, and behaviors will flow from a much better place.

     In verse 19 of the same chapter (John 5), Jesus said, “Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, that the Son does likewise.”  If we are to be imitators of Jesus, this passage might reveal where we are to focus our motivation.  Jesus sought the Father’s will, so he focused exclusively on the Father’s not on the opinions of man.  Reading through the gospels, we see many, many accounts where the religious leaders of Jesus day were focusing on people-pleasing behaviors.  They wished to elevate themselves by their own authority but, at the same time, heavily relied on man’s opinion.   How relevant does this seem in the world today?

     In my recent fictional writing assignments, I am learning to consider the thoughts and feelings of my characters as I create dialogue.   I ask myself, 'What was the character thinking or feeling before they said what they said?'  Next I need to consider whether the reader would gain better insight or understanding if I allowed them into that world.  This is one great advantage that fiction has over real life, the author gets to have a 'god-like' perspective.  Unlike real-life, it is impossible to know what another person is thinking or feeling unless they tell us.  Even then, our ability to relate comes for our own experiences.  Consider how much lies beneath the surface when we hear someone's perspective.  I find that even when walking in my own shoes, I fail to evaluate my own thoughts and feelings before I speak.  As a result this can easily lead the listener into a feelings of disagreement, judgment or confusion.  How do we get this right?

     With this heightened awareness, I hope to ask myself better questions in the future.  What is the motivation in my heart to want to share 'this' opinions with others?  Am I motivated to encourage them?  Am I motivated to correct them?  Am I driven to awaken my listener?  Am I motivated by provoking disagreement?  Am I motivated to love my neighbor as myself?  In addition to understanding my motivation, I believe it is equally important to consider how I view my own state of righteousness.  Who am I trying to impress with my goodness?  Why do I need to appear smart on this topic?    Do I feel more self-righteous than those around me?  Do I understand what Romans 3:10 has to say about my righteousness?  “As it is written: ‘There is no one righteous, not even one.’”  

     Regarding opinions, I love what the prophet Elijah had to say in 1 Kings 8:21, “How long will you hesitate between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow Him; but if Baal, follow him.”   Elijah's little altar experience was meant to shed light on who God was, not on his own glory.  When I share God with others, do they recognize my love or my judgment toward them?  I can attest to the fact that this could go either way.  In reading Scriptures, we see that the Pharisee's searched Scriptures, but did not find the Messiah.  When the Apostle Paul searched Scriptures, he found all things pointed to Jesus, the King of kings and LORD of Lords.  When reading the same text, how could they draw different conclusions?  Could it be 'who' they placed at the center of their inquiry?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me A Story

For When (i am) Weak, Then (I AM) Strong

What is a Gotcha Day?