Ask With Clarity - Wait With Expectancy

 

     This weekend I assigned a writing assignment to one of my daughters to clarify what is on her heart’s desire on a family matter.  Often when we have conversations, it is difficult for her to articulate what she wants or needs.  We had a brief discussion after she shared her thoughts with me.  This morning after completing my Bible study, I decided to return and re-read her response.  I was amazed at her ability to articulate on paper an answer to what I had requested of her.  As a parent, I am interested in addressing our girls with good responses to their heart’s desires, but we know that there is a time to say yes, a time to say no, and a time to say not yet.  God is so good to give us what we need when we need it.  I had not anticipated that I would receive a lesson from God’s Word so quickly this morning following the conversation that I had with my daughter just 24 hours ago. 

     The passage I read from the Old Testament was in Esther and from the New Testament, Luke. The relevance of this passage became apparent when my eyes rested upon the questions that King Ahasuerus asked Queen Esther and the question that Jesus asked the blind beggar.  We know from the Scriptures that Queen Esther had spent three days fasting and praying before she approached the king to make her request known.  I had always been taught to observe how Queen Esther approached the king with her request.  We can see an example of this in chapter 5, verse 8, when she says, “If I have found favor in the sight of the king, and if it pleases the king to grant my wish and fulfill my request.”  She addresses the King with honor before making her request.  One could quickly draw a parallel to this thought when looking at the story in Luke 18 when Jesus teaches us about the prayer of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector.  The Pharisee approaches God in a prideful manner, as exhibited by Haman in Esther's story, whereas the Tax Collector is humble like Esther.  However, during my study today, I drew another conclusion that seems just as beneficial to my understanding.

     In Esther’s story, we see King Ahasuerus ask Esther three times to reveal what’s on her heart, first in Esther 5:3, then 5:8, and again in 7:2.  His request of Queen Esther, worded nearly identical in each occurrence, says, “What is your wish?” and “What is your request?”.  In each instance, he indicates that he will grant her request.   What might resembles a well-planned strategy by honoring her husband might also be recognized as timidity or insecurity of revealing her true identity, a Jew.  Did she fully understand that the King had her best interest at heart, or was she testing the waters to see how receptive he would be to her request?  It wasn’t until the third time that King Ahasuerus asked, that Esther revealed the real reason she had approached the King.  This thought caused me to see a more profound correlation between Esther's passages and that in Luke 18.  I reflected on how I make my requests known to God.   

     During a Small Group Discussion last evening, I heard myself share a prayer request confessing that I had been struggling with this resolution for two and a half years.  It is not the first time I’ve shared this prayer request with the ladies, but I realized that I only think to mention it when the problem resurfaces.  By the grace of God, after reading today’s passages several times, it brought several questions to mind. (1)  How often have I asked God in earnest to resolve this issue?  (2)  Do I see evidence in my faith to prove that I believe God wishes to resolve this issue?  (3)  How much do I desire a resolution?  (4)  Am I willing to let this issue fester without making my truest request known to God?  (5)  Is what I’m asking outside of God’s will?  (6)  Does this seem impossible for God to do?   I realized in asking myself these questions that I’ve not done a very good job of expressing this need to the LORD with a heartfelt expectation that He will provide a solution.   I decided to review Luke 18, contemplating that God had something to reveal about how I am asking and how I am dependent on Him. 

Persistent Prayer:

     There are several stories found in Luke 18, and I found five examples that could be used to evaluate the nature of my heart when I make requests of God.  First, Jesus tells the story of the persistent widow who seemed to allow nothing to get the way of receiving an answer to what she was after.  She was looking for justice, and she received it.  Jesus tells us that God desires to bring justice to his elect (to the ones who cry out night and day).  He also teaches that God brings justice expediently.  I asked myself, “Had I pursued this issue with as much persistence as the widow?”  and “How am I expecting God to respond to my request?” 

Humble Asking versus Prideful Telling:

     The second example I observed was the story of the Pharisee’s and Tax Collector’s prayers.   I could easily see that one man prayed with pride, whereas the other man was humble.  I also noticed that one man prayed with conclusive statements talking at God, whereas the other made requests of God.  The Pharisee was not dependant on God, but the Tax Collector, although recognizing his unworthy nature, made his requests known.  These two examples reminded me of the verse found in John 16:24, which says, Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive that your joy may be full.”   The Tax Collector received an expedient answer; the Pharisee received none (see Luke 18:14).  This story illustrates that our unworthy nature is not a stumbling block for God to give us the things we need.  Pride builds an impenetrable wall between our request and God’s ears.  A passage found in James 4:1-4 reveals that sometimes our requests are not answered because we ask with the wrong motivation.  Coming to God by humble means and recognizing a clear motivation behind our request is the best way to wait with expectation for God to answer.

Wrong Answer:

     The third scenario involves a rich young ruler who comes to Jesus seeking answers but is unwilling to accept the answer he receives.  Anyone following Jesus and listening to his teaching would have received the answer to the obvious question that this young man poses to Jesus.  This young man is not unfamiliar with God’s Word as he clearly states that he’s been keeping all the commandments that Jesus has suggested to inherit eternal life.  But Jesus seeing into his heart recognizes that obedience is only part of the commitment one makes to follow Him.  The other part, more costly, requires submission.  This lack of submission becomes the barrier between the man and his desired outcome.  Although Jesus only states five of the ten commandments found in Exodus, this young man has failed the very first command, “Thou shall have no other gods before me” (see Exodus 20:3). Just because we don’t like the answer doesn’t mean we haven’t received one.   How many times do I put an expectation on God on how I expect him to answer my requests?  How well do I believe what is taught in Romans 8:28,  “God is working all things for our good”?

Trusting the Impossible to God

     In Luke 18:27, we read, “What is impossible with man is possible with God,”  which is the fourth truth we see about prayer found in this passage.  This is the answer Jesus gives to the question, “Then who can be saved?”  I have to ask myself the question, “Do I believe the definition of Sovereign,” which is an attribute I’ve been taught belongs to God alone.  Sovereign means God rules over all things.  I don’t believe I doubt God’s capability as often as I doubt God’s desire.   Another faulty interpretation of God’s heart toward man.  If we are not trusting God with what’s impossible for man, but possible for God, we must be doubting either His ability or his desire, both of which are unbiblical.

Knowing What We Want:

     The last example begins in verse 35 with the story of Jesus’ encounter with the blind ma by the road leading to Jericho.  This blind man exhibits the persistence of the widow in the first parable as he continues to call out to Jesus for mercy even when the crowd tells him to hush.  His persistence captures Jesus’ attention causing Him to stop and ask the question, “What do you want me to do for you?” (see verse 41).  Jesus gives the man permission to ask for what he wants.  Just like the story of Esther, where King Ahasuerus keeps asking the queen what she wants.  What if the blind man didn’t know how to articulate his hearts’ desire with Jesus.  Do you think he would have recovered his sight?    This realization brought me back to the question that I asked of my daughter only yesterday, “What is it that you want?”  Today’s lesson caused me to consider what an extraordinary privilege we have to make requests of God.  How much time do I take to prepare the requests I make of God?  How do I exhibit my faith in God that He desires to answer my prayers?   

     The Holy Spirit reminded me of verses found in Philippians 4:6-7, which say,  “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”   Like in Esther's story, it wasn’t until the third request of King Ahasuerus in Esther 7:2, that Esther made her desires known.  “And on the second day, as they were drinking wine after the feast, the king again said to Esther, “What is your wish, Queen Esther? It shall be granted you. And what is your request? Even to the half of my kingdom, it shall be fulfilled.”  The King assured Esther that he wished to fulfill her request.  She finally believed he meant what he said and expressed her heart’s desire with him.  Why does it take us so long?

     Today’s passage provided me with several examples from Scripture with how I am to make my requests known to God.  It offers me a method for evaluating what is truly going on when I approach God in prayer.  (1)  Am I persistent with my requests?  (2)  Do I recognize that God wants to give me an answer?  (3)  Am I making statements at God, or making requests of God?  (4)  Am I approaching God with a humble heart?  (5)  Do I recognize that I’m not worthy, yet God has granted me the privilege to make my requests known?   (6)  Am I willing to accept a different answer than I desire?  (7)  How well am I identifying my heart’s desires, or am I making blanket statements and haphazard requests without clarity?  (8)  Is my testimony in general terms or built with specifics when I claim that God answers prayers? 

     In the parable of the persistent widow, we see that God’s desire is to respond quickly (see Luke 18:8).  Likewise, in the story of the blind beggar, we see that Jesus immediately restored his vision (see Luke 18:43).  These two examples encourage me that God is not slow to answer my requests.  I should be embarrassed to admit that I’ve been struggling with the same issue for two and a half years when I’ve treated my request as a matter of so little importance.  I have much to learn from my daughter, who has articulated her desires to me so clearly.  I will learn to trust God in this matter. 

Comments

Unknown said…
This one hit squarely where I needed it! I too need to examine my prayer life. You have articulated something that has been sitting on my heart and mind that I have not been able to, or not taken the time to examine more seriously.
Thank you Rhonda!
Unknown said…
As I read this, I thought about how I pray and my need to examine my prayer life.
Thank you

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me A Story

What is a Gotcha Day?

For When (i am) Weak, Then (I AM) Strong