Lamenting is a Learned Skill


   
     I have not published an article in a few weeks.  It is not for lack of trying, but something in my heart indicated it was time to work a little more on research.  I hope the time spent away from writing helps bring clarity to my message.  Today I hope to encourage you to learn the language of Lament if you have not already done so.  Lament is not a topic that I’ve given much thought.  During our time of social distancing, we talked about this topic a bit, but apparently, I was not ready for the lesson.  While re-reading the book of Lamentations, more profound thoughts began to materialize.  At first, I mindlessly read Lamentations chapters 1 and 2.  I failed to recognize the depth of misery felt by the Israelites as I found myself thinking, “Look, you’ve gotten what you deserved.”  This self-righteous attitude formed as I felt confident that God had given the Israelites ample warning through the prophets, especially Ezekiel and Jeremiah, yet they refused to listen.   

     Fortunately, the Holy Spirit has done a great job of convincing me that I had failed to discover what it means to live outside of God’s favor.  Once I began to reframe my thinking, I opened the message I was intended to receive.  Let me retrace my steps to share how this message opened up to me.  I printed the passage, and with a highlighter, I began to examine the content described in these verses.  Highlighting words like groaning, weeping, crying out, mourning, stomachs churning, and tears brought me to a greater understanding that grief brought about physical manifestations.  It then became much harder to ignore the depth of suffering experienced by the Israelites.  I continued to mark the phrases like desolate and abandon, finding no rest, faint-hearted, without strength, and with no one to comfort.  When you add this reality to the mix, it becomes very weighty or heavy.  In this passage, we learn of suffering that came about as punishment for rebellion.  The people of Israel experienced distress, rejection, being deceived, despised, and afflicted.  When we think of these words, they tie very closely to Jesus’ experience on the cross.  While the Israelites deserved punishment, Jesus did not.  He chose to bear the same pain as the people he loved.  Jesus used Lamentation on the cross as he cried, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me.”  (Psalm 22)  His prayer of Lamentation came right from our Holy Scriptures.

     I began to question why these deep-seat emotions had escaped my notice?  Had I become too numb to experience the pain others were feeling?  Is this level of suffering unrelatable? Could Satan accuse God of putting a hedge around me?  Has my life been more about comfort?  When I insulate myself from experiencing pain or loss, could I fail to heed a warning like the Israelites?  Do I mask my feelings, replacing them with positive thoughts, only to discover that it is a lie?   As a Christian, Jesus warns that we can expect to suffer.  When examples of brokenness arise in my presence, do they fail to capture my attention?  What opportunity to learn and grow have I ignored?  Okay, before I convince you that I’m asking God for opportunities to Lament, might I suggest that I’ve already been given many, but have failed to use tools at my disposal to deal with life’s difficult moments.

     I noticed an article on the Internet which began, “On a frigid day in February, I lowered a tiny casket of my daughter into a newly dug grave.”  The first paragraph concluded, “It was the beginning of a long journey.”  The author, a pastor from College Park Church in Indianapolis, caught my attention as one who could easily teach on this topic.  He wrote a book called “Dark Clouds, Deep Mercy, Discovering the Grace of Lament.”  I’ve spent the past several days amazed by his skill of teaching how to use the language of Lament.  Again my mind brought forth questions. Do I believe that this is a topic that I can overlook waiting for the rainy day when I’m deeply touched by trouble? Or should I learn the language of Lament and gain insight into this topic so that I can learn from it and encourage others who might need these skills?  With a curious mind to understand the trials of this family, I began to reset my thinking.

     Not all despair is earned.  In the book of Lamentations, misery comes from consequences, but in the book of Job, it does not.  Job was blameless before God, according to the Scriptures, even though his friends did not share this view as they went on a witch hunt for the sin that caused his suffering.  I was surprised to learn that out of 150 Psalms recorded in the Bible, at least one-third of them are forms of Lament.  Besides the book of Lamentation, which is a dead give away by its title, there are countless examples throughout the Scriptures that use this language to process disappointment and grief. 

     In numerous articles and throughout his book, Pastor Mark Vroegop teaches how to gain a better understanding of how Lament can help us re-tune our hearts.  He refers to Lament as a song in a minor key.  Through his personal journey, he came to realize that most people, although with good intentions, have little understanding of how to respond to others when they are suffering.  He found his greatest comfort while reading unfamiliar passages of God’s Word focus on Lament.  He admits, and I agree that Lament is like a new language that one must learn in order to use it properly.  He noted that at times when people might benefit the most from its use, it is rarely used, like in funerals and in worship music.  When he decided to bring this message to the pulpit, it was somewhat discouraged until the church began to notice the hordes of people that could deeply relate to its expression, saying that it mirrored what they had been feeling but were unable to articulate.

     Before we look at an outlined process, another author, Matt Erickson, wrote an article entitled, “Lamenting our Losses:  Three Vital Parts of Lament in the Pandemic.”  Now there’s a relatable topic.  First, he says, we must be able to name our loss (a job, finances, health, faith, trust).  Without this step, it is impossible for us to deal with the loss or let it go.  When we hold on, it can burrow into our hearts creating a bitter root.  Anger is an expression of bittnerness that has not had proper handling.  Secondly, he says, we must learn to grieve.  Lamenting is an acquired skill.  Could it be that we were not designed for sin, but when it was introduced in the garden, God provided a tool to restore our hearts and again trust in his promises?  The emotional expression that Cain exhibited before killing his brother offered the perfect opportunity for Cain to Lament rather than giving in to the sin that was crouching at his door.  Lastly, Matt concludes that we need to practice this skill.

     I think how much easier it is to offer God praise and gratitude than Lament, but could this be because I’ve had more practice in that area?  Recognizing that I need to practice Lament allows me to learn this skill before I need it.  This is a proactive preparedness.   It reminded of a tagline for an old pain relief commercial that said, “You don’t want to go out and get it when you got it!”  I don’t remember the product. 

     Pastor Vroegop, the author of Dark Clouds, Deep Mercy, suggests that there are at least four steps to the process of Lamenting:  (1)  Turn to prayer, (2) Bring our complaints to God, (3) Boldly ask for a solution, and (4) Choose to trust God.  I often find myself getting hung up on the very first step, do you?  I tend to respond to trouble more like I’m on a game show and have the option to ‘phone-a-friend.’  Then my mind isn’t so convinced that I should complain to God.  Weren’t the Israelites told not to grumble?  Pastor Vroegop explains that bringing our complaints to God should not be done disrespectfully but with a humble heart.  Often we will find these in the form of questions in the Psalms.  We can find many Scriptures that reveal stories of God’s people bring complaints before the LORD.  This was a common practice of expressing frustration.  Think of Jonah, Job, and Moses.  We even fail at the third step, asking for a solution.  Jesus told his disciples to ask and then told them he had observed their failure to do so.  Jesus' encouragement to ask is followed with the statement, ‘so your joy may be made full.’ (John 16:24)

     Lament is to turn our pain into trusting God, so between the third and the fourth step, we should begin to recognize the turning point.  By observing Biblical Laments, we might find common words like ‘but’ or ‘yet,’ which indicates that the “lamentor” is beginning to trust in God.  We can also look for a ‘therefore,’ or a ‘behold.’  Pastor Vroegop indicates that Lamentations are not a cul-dec-sac of sorrow but rather a pathway to trusting once again in the goodness of God.  This is the place where we can renew our confidence in the promises He has given.

     A professor at Franciscan School of Theology, Michael Guinan, says, “Faith is not simply an intellectual assent to some statement about God; it is trusting our entire selves to God.”  He reminds us that the opposite of faith is not doubt but despair.  He says, “Despair is when we give up on God.”  If we do not trust God enough to share our thoughts and feelings, might that be a pretty good clue that we are not exhibiting faith in God?  Where might we be seeking instead (people, comforts)?  Professor Guinan concludes, “perhaps, it is not in lamenting, but in failure to Lament that expresses our lack of faith.”  Can we believe that even if we do it incorrectly while we are yet learning that Jesus would respond in our favor as he indicated on the cross, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” (Luke 23:34 NIV)


     In an article called ‘Lamentation Can Be a Good Thing,’ author Larry Culliford suggests that “Most of us have learned (have been taught) to suppress our unpleasant feelings, particularly sorrow, and may have to unlearn this.”  Our suppression may actually be expressed in ways that we are failing to recognize.  With the current cultural unrest and the hostile political environment, many of us might be feeling very vulnerable right now.  How we present our anxious thoughts on social media might weaken our message of faith in God.  Could this be a practical application to apply this new language between ourselves and God?  As we find ourselves surrounded by (1) discouragement, (2) disillusion, (3) disagreement, (4) disengagement, (5) discord, or (6) discomfort, can we ask God to equip us with the skills of Lamenting?  As we develop stronger skills, might we be able to teach one another better ways to handle our anxious thoughts?  If I were to continue practicing self-reliance, or the ‘phone-a-friend’ option, may I only find temporary relief and not permanent fixes?  Even when I attempt to reframe my thoughts positively, could I be weakening my dependence on God?  When we stuff discouragement beneath the surface unresolved, it's like going out in the middle of an ocean with a hole in the bottom of our boat.  Eventually, we will find our efforts unable to keep up with the volume of water which wishes to sink our ship.  Learning to Lament is like wearing a life preserver called Jesus that will allow us to gently bob above the waves.


    To practice Lamenting, I might need first to discover how to name my pain.  By reviewing the first two chapters of Lamentations, I was able to formulate some questions based on their experiences. 

QUESTIONS: 
  
     1.  What experiences cause me to weep? 
(Sometimes we’re good at  suppressing our tears even when we need to cry.)
     2.  Where have I felt deceived? 
(Have I allowed bitterness to find root in my heart?)   
     3.  What makes me feel abandoned? 
(What makes me desire comfort?) 
     4.  What makes my heart grow weary (tired)? 
     5.  What makes me feel restless (anxious)?

If these questions don’t produce opportunities for Lament, think about taking the keywords I’ve noted in the paragraph above and fill in the blanks:

     1.  I feel discouraged when ___________(fill in the blank),
     2.  I’m disillusioned when ___________happens,
     3.  I am disagreeable when faced with _____________,
     4.  I become disengaged when ___________,
     5.  _________________brings me discomfort.

Whatever we use to fill in the blanks might be a good indication of what we have not entrusted to the LORD.  Out of sight, out of mind is not a good philosophy.  Allowing these things to become unburied will be like accepting Jesus’ life preserver.  It is better when we recognize that we are not swimming with hopes of not getting our hair wet when we are actually attempting to keep our head above water while hiding the fact that we are frantically treading water beneath the surface, trying not to drown.  We have tools at our disposal that will help in our time of need.


     I recognized in 2 Chronicles 20:12, Jehoshaphat’s prayer in the second half of the verse, which says, “We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you,” is precisely what the process of Lamenting is supposed to do. 


     Pastor Vroegop suggests that we search Scriptures for prayers or songs of Lament and begin to see which ones match the position we feel in our hearts.  He recommends looking at Psalm 10, 13, 22, and 77.  While observing these Psalms, see if you can identify the four suggested steps found in the fifth paragraph of this article.  I’ve applied bold print, so they should be easy to find.  God would love to equip us with this new language so that we can move from discouragement to trust. 


     It is probably not a coincidence that I’ve attempted to publish on this topic on September 11th, nineteen years after one of the strongest memories I have of disaster.  May you find that Lament returns your heart to peace that passes all understanding as we find ourselves in troubled times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me A Story

For When (i am) Weak, Then (I AM) Strong

What is a Gotcha Day?