How to Use SOAP Effectively


   
     This past week, I found myself reading several books in the Old and New Testament.  I finished reading the book of Ruth; then I started the reading 1 Samuel along with 1 Chronicles.  I've had exposure to several Psalms, and finished the second epistle written by the apostle Paul to the church in Corinth.  How could anyone possibly receive any benefit from reading such a wide array of Scriptures?  How could one possibly make sense of it all? 
       Over this past year, I have been following a daily reading plan that has allowed me to pass through the Old Testament once, and the New Testament twice.    Although it may appear to be very random reading from my account of four Old and one New Testament books, I find that many times the Scriptures I read from both testaments strangely align.  As I read, I pray that the Holy Spirit will enlighten me to the meaning behind each passage.  I believe God prepares our path through the Holy Spirit using the Scriptures to equip us for good work.  I use a method called "SOAP" when I study Scriptures.  Each letter of this acronym reminds me of what I hope to document and understand while studying God's Word.  It is the same method our church is now using to train our High School and Middle School students. 

S – Stands for Scriptures
     As I read God's Word, I try to find the most predominant verse or verses that I've encountered during my study.  By simultaneous reading of both Old and New Testaments, I may find an overarching theme (like the account of two Benjamites you will see below).    As a general rule, whether reading from an electronic device or from a sheet of Scriptures that I've printed, I highlight passages, circle verses, and mark phrases with a star, boxes, or asterisk.  On paper, I write notes in the margins to outline the passage, define words, explain concepts, or scribble question marks.  I include questions like, what does it mean they ransomed Jonathon, or that the priests withdrew their hands from the ark.  In the past I would have just skimmed over those phrases.  With just a glance at my highlights, notes, and scribbles, I am able to evaluate what stood out the most.  I may find a keyword or a phrase that marks the beginning and end of an idea, like a passage I read in 1 Samuel this week that told the Israelites to "stand still and listen," repeated twice.  Another passage I encountered in the Psalms that said, "Come and see what God has done," then "Come and hear, all you who fear God."  These phrases alerted me to the idea that something import ant would be revealed, so I heightened my intrigue to notice what that could be.  Once I identify the predominant verse or verses, I write them in my journal.  

O – Stands for Observation
     Often my observation is not ascertained by isolating a verse in the passage; it usually develops from a culmination of passages that I've read over time (days, weeks, or months).  When I allow Scriptures to build one upon another, the observations I make reveal far more than an isolated passage ever does.  There are many forms of observation one can make when studying Scriptures, I will highlight just a few ways I look at Scripture.  I might recognize a pattern of behavior, or a mood swing.  I may base my observation on either the progression within the story, or the final outcome.  I might notice that in the past three chapters, the author was talking about having influenced his audience, and now he has shifted to reasoning.  I ponder what might have changed, his audience, his location?  I might investigate symbolism (a wells, a type of tree, blood).  I might look up the meaning behind a person's name, or try to understand how the metaphor is used.  I might remember a prior account that resembles the story I am currently reading and compare and contrast them.   I might notice who asks the first question, or when a question is answered with another question.  I might notice what happens consistently as God speaks or an angel appears.  I might isolate the words of a prayer to see when the pray-er is asking for on behalf of those he is praying for.  

     The observation portion of my daily Bible study routinely consumes the majority of my time.  Sometimes I need to read a passage multiple times.  Sometimes I read silently, but often reading aloud helps me consider the tone of the conversation.  On a good day, I find it difficult not to travel down unexpected paths in search of the tiniest detail (like I did this morning as I backtracked about seven chapters in 1 Samuel).  Sometimes I find an overwhelming interest in looking at maps or diagramming genealogies.  I have often found myself researching the region where the story takes place.  I ask myself what seems to be unusual about what is taking place.  If I gloss over the observation, it will create a weak application.  I might find I need to step away and fold a load of laundry, wash some dishes, or drink a cup of coffee while meditating on the passage.  The Holy Spirit will not leave us empty-handed when we seek the truth.

     I never hesitate to see what someone else has to say about the passage I'm reading.  I take time to research questions that arise. I've acquired some reliable resources, and I've developed turst in discernment of the mentors I choose to rely upon.  I use a dictionary to look up words that one might typically read in context assuming they understand. I've developed a greater appreciation for etymology.  For example, I may understand that the word 'sojourn' means to travel, but I might know that it means to have intention on a temporary stay, not as a permanent relocation.  It is often in the observation mode that I experience my most significant discoveries.

A – Stands for Application
     Although new discoveries are amazing when they occur, applying Scriptures produces the highest benefit.  An application without an observation creates superficial understanding, But moving from observation to the application isn't always easy.  If I am unable to relate to the story or its' characters, I may begin asking myself questions like 1.) What caused the person to act this way?   2.) What would it feel like to put myself in their shoes?  3.) Why did they do what they did?  4.) Have I ever found myself in a similar situation?  The more questions I ask, the better chances of recognizing its application.  Sometimes my application is an unresolved question that I might wait for days to unfold.  Other times I am surprised to uncover an underlying issue or even an unintentional sin.  I find that the best applications are the ones that bring to mind personal stories or convictions.  When this happens, I know that I'm allowing the Holy Spirit to do his job and have His rightful place in my heart.

P – Stands for Prayer
     Although it is a great idea to pray before embarking on any Bible reading, I find that prayer that comes after my application is always the best.  I write out my observation, application, and prayer.  Journaling gives me the ability to see progress.  It allows me to see more clearly how God is equipping me for service or a future encounter.  It allows me to discover the specific ways in which God has answered my prayers. Answered prayers are the foundational piece that allows us to testify of God's goodness to others.  I uncovered this truth while reading Psalm 66 - see Day 2 below).

Give It a Title
     At the end of each days' study, I write a summary of the fundamental concept that I've acquired from God's Word.  As you continue to read this article, you will find the 'key' concepts I acquired from the last seven days (See Day 1 through Day 7 below).  We call this a Homilectic or a Homily.  I write my daily Homily on a summary sheet by month; then, I take the time to share my verse and my Homily with a group of friends.   By daily sharing,  1.)  we encourage one another, 2.) we confirm our mutual respect for Scriptures, 3.) we share our personal journeys in the Word, and 4.) we hold one another accountable.  I cannot begin to explain how beneficial this daily activity has been for my walk with Jesus.  If you've not yet embarked on such a journey, let me encourage you to make this a priority.  It will change your life.

The Past Seven Days 

Day 1:  By His Refusal to Redeem Another, His Name and His Fame Go Unrecorded

Ruth 4:5-6 (ESV)
Then Boaz said, "The day you buy the field from the hand of Naomi, you also acquire Ruth the Moabite, the widow of the dead, in order to perpetuate the name of the dead in his inheritance." Then the redeemer said, "I cannot redeem it for myself, lest I impair my own inheritance. Take my right of redemption yourself, for I cannot redeem it."

QUESTION: 
In this Scripture, what was the man afraid he would lose by redeeming Ruth along with Naomi's property?  What did he actually end up losing? 

Day 2:  Our Soul Testifies of God's Steadfast Love--Worthy Words Indeed

Psalm 66:16–20 (ESV)
Come and hear, all you who fear God, and I will tell what he has done for my soul.
I cried to him with my mouth, and high praise was on my tongue.
If I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have listened.
But truly God has listened; he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God, because he has not rejected my prayer or removed his steadfast love from me!

QUESTION: 
What does this passage reveal about what God does with the prayers He listens to?  Are you surprised that God may not listen to every prayer?  What prevents Him from listening to a prayer? 

Day 3:  Meditate on God's Goodness When Questioning Brings No Comfort

Psalm 77:7–9 (ESV)
"Will the Lord spurn forever, and never again be favorable?
Has his steadfast love forever ceased? Are his promises at an end for all time?
Has God forgotten to be gracious? Has he in anger shut up his compassion?" Selah


Psalm 77:12 (ESV)
I will ponder all your work, and meditate on your mighty deeds.

QUESTION: 
The psalmist asks five questions, but then shifts his emphasis and stops asking questions.  What does he do instead?  Have I ever be comforted by unanswered questions?  How might this psalm help me in times when my heart is troubled?

Day 4:  Victory Over Our Enemy Requires a Heart of Full Submission to God

1 Samuel 7:3 (ESV)
And Samuel said to all the house of Israel, "If you are returning to the Lord with all your heart, then put away the foreign gods and the Ashtaroth from among you and direct your heart to the Lord and serve him only, and he will deliver you out of the hand of the Philistines."

QUESTION: 
What advice does Samuel give to the Israelites to receive deliverance from their enemies?  Where have the Israelite's received this same guidance in the past? Why have they not listened?  Where do I resemble the Israelite's actions that prevent deliverance? 

Day 5:  The Tale of Two Benjamites:  Humility to Pride / Pride to Humility (Direction Matters)
1 Samuel 9:21 (ESV)
 Saul answered, "Am I not a Benjaminite, from the least of the tribes of Israel? And is not my clan the humblest of all the clans of the tribe of Benjamin? Why then have you spoken to me in this way?"

2 Corinthians 10:17–18 (ESV)
"Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord." For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.

QUESTIONS: 
The first Benjamite was Saul, who would be anointed King over the people of Israel. 
What was his initial response when Samuel informed him that he would be honored?  What path did Saul take while reigning as King over Israel?

The second Benjamite was Saul (the apostle called Paul), who was teaching the church that there is only one cause for boasting. 
What was Saul's character when Jesus found him on the road to Damascus?  How did Paul change when Jesus captured his heart and assigned him the apostleship to the Gentiles?  Interestingly, Saul would boast about his resume at the beginning, but after his conversion, the emphasis of his life would be his eulogy.

Day 6:  Righteous Behavior Stems from Recognizing God's Power, Not His Favor

1 Samuel 12:20–22 (ESV)
And Samuel said to the people, "Do not be afraid; you have done all this evil. Yet do not turn aside from following the Lord, but serve the Lord with all your heart.  And do not turn aside after empty things that cannot profit or deliver, for they are empty.  For the Lord will not forsake his people, for his great name's sake, because it has pleased the Lord to make you a people for himself.

QUESTION: 
The passage shown above comes after Samuel has prayed to God.  He asks that he send rain at harvest time. Samuel's prayers were answered. God's power is exhibited.  The prayer itself would not bring favorable results to their harvest; however, Samuel calls this a 'great thing' that the Lord would show them in 1 Samuel 12:16. 

Why would ruining their harvest, reducing its yield, and potentially affecting the seed they would use for the next planting be a good thing?  (Yes, I looked up an article about what problems rain would cause at harvest time.)

Day 7:  Genealogies Provide Permanent Legacies that Many Likely Regret Leaving
1 Chronicles 2:1–4 (ESV)
These are the sons of Israel: Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Issachar, Zebulun, Dan, Joseph, Benjamin, Naphtali, Gad, and Asher. The sons of Judah: Er, Onan and Shelah; these three Bath-shua the Canaanite bore to him. Now Er, Judah's firstborn, was evil in the sight of the Lord, and he put him to death. His daughter-in-law Tamar also bore him Perez and Zerah. Judah had five sons in all.

QUESTION:  The first nine chapters of 1 Chronicle filled with genealogies, one might question why anyone would be interested in the who's who found within these passages.  Why do we think God provides us with these sorts of details in Scripture?
    
     Learning how to navigate through Scriptures has been an enriching experience.  Journaling my insights leave a trail that allows me to notice how my perspective has changed over time.  My second or third pass through the same Scripture often reveals that patience, persistence, and prayer pays off.  Now if I would only have the same patience and persistence, and prayer in editting my articles, you might see more content on this blog!  

Be blessed,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me A Story

For When (i am) Weak, Then (I AM) Strong

What is a Gotcha Day?