Faith Wins

 

     This weekend, I went on a delightful bus trip to Traverse City to attend a church service with our Senior Ministry group.  During the trip, I made the acquaintance of several wonderful ladies. As a result, I added several new names to my contact list, hoping to keep engaged.  This morning, as I reviewed my sermon notes, updated my calendar, and completed my daily Bible reading, I received a phone call from a friend asking for a favor.   I was more than happy to oblige. So, rather than forget our commitment, I quickly texted my daughter with these instructions. 

"Beginning next week, you will be driving ____home from school until ___ (date)." 

 I added, "We can provide you with a little extra money for gas." 

Quite by accident, I sent the message to one of my new acquaintances.  Re-reading the tone of my text, I realized that I had just laid the groundwork for a terrible misunderstanding.  Once I stopped laughing at my foolish mistake, I corrected my demands. 

     Okay, so who hasn't made this mistake? I'm not talking about sending a message to the wrong person; I'm speaking about the misuse of our tone of authority that we use with our loved ones without batting an eye.  For the record, I needed to clear the air on both mistakes.  (Whew!)

     This week was one of those fantastic weeks where the Holy Spirit seemed to be targeting one lesson over and over.  I surmised that an article would surface sooner or later.  Indeed it did when I unscrambled the words I had recorded from this week's sermon; it became apparent that the Holy Spirit was speaking to me all week about faith.  As I rewrote my notes, the five-point message I received Sunday morning renewed the significance of my daily Bible reading and journaling.  The Pastor shared: 

  Faith is a gift,

 Faith is only as good as (our) object (of faith), 

 Faith will be tested,

 Faith always responds, and

 Faith brings victory. 

Faith is a Gift:

      Early in the week, I journaled, "Faith is a Superpower; I have yet to recognize its potential." The passage that supported this conclusion was recorded in Luke 17.  This passage is where Jesus expresses that even 'small faith' can accomplish mighty things.  I contemplated my spiritual journey asking myself how often I exhibit a walk of faith that even closely resembles what Jesus was teaching.  The following day, while reading Luke 18, I wrote, "Do my prayers strengthen my Faith?" The underlying dilemma that brought this question to mind was whether my prayers resembled more wishful thinking or true faith.  Jesus' question, "When the Son of Man returns, will He find faith on earth?" Maybe you’ve read my last article called The Prayer – Faith Link where I talk about this question.  I've asked myself this question multiple times over this week.  When I use the phrase, "Thy Will Be Done," do I use that phrase correctly.  Am I using it to submit to God's plan, or because I possess weak faith?  Jesus tells us in Scriptures to expect expedient answers which can either affirm our prayers or change our hearts on the matter.  Might we ask God for experiences to increase our faith, or are we scared that He might just give us precisely what we ask for?

     Today's reading illuminated my eyes once again showing me that faith is a gift.  I journaled,  "Understanding Scriptures is a gift; Jesus opens our eyes (and minds).  This lesson, extracted from Luke 24, uses the word 'opened' three times.  First, we read an account following Jesus' resurrection where he joins men on the road to Emmaus.  Scriptures tell us that 'their eyes were opened" (v. 31); they recognized who Jesus was.  They understood they had just encountered the risen Savior.  Then in verse 32, we read that before they understood who Jesus was, He opened their eyes to Scriptures by revealing Himself throughout the Old Testament accounts.  Second, we read, Jesus did the same for His disciples.  Scriptures tell us that "He opened their minds to understand Scriptures" (see verses 45 – 49).

     Like Paul on the road to Damascus, we are told that the scales fell from his eyes (Acts 9).  Paul was able to see Jesus in the Law and the Prophets.  When we begin to understand Scriptures, it builds our faith, and that is a gift.

Faith's Object:

The Pastor illustrated that everyone exercises faith in something, maybe an airline pilot as you board a plane, or the Pharmacist who fills your prescription.

     Later in the week, I recorded, "Dependence on God (not man) builds faith and strengthens (our) testimony." The Holy Spirit was teaching me that the object of one's faith is relevant.  This was illustrated to me in the story about Ezra recorded in the 8th chapter of Ezra.  In the story, Ezra demonstrated his Faith in God by not accepting protection from the king's army.  He said, "I was ashamed to ask the king for a band of soldiers and horsemen to protect us against the enemy on our way since we had told the king, 'The hand of our God is good on all who seek Him, and the power of his wrath is against all who forsake Him.'" (Ezra 8:22-23)  What did this message proclaim to the king?  How often do I lean in the wrong direction and put my faith in man rather than in God? 

Faith is Tested:    

At the end of my sermon notes, I jotted, "Two things are certain: (1) Spiritual attacks will occur, but (2) Spiritual defeats don't have to. As I type that sentence, my editing software again reminds me never to end a sentence with a preposition.  Which nicely illustrates that I’m just a walking, breathing, and writing error just waiting to happen!  Just two days ago, I penned in my journal, "Failure Happens!  Purposeful service awaits (following these experiences)—Strengthen Others!" This lesson was recorded in Luke 22.  Jesus is talking to Peter, saying, "Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail." Then Jesus, full of understanding, continues, "and when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers." (Luke 22:31-32). Jesus knew that he would be asking Peter to tend and feed His sheep and that his three denials would only be a test of Peter's Faith regardless of whether he passed or failed.

     As the Pastor explained this concept, he cited this exact verse that only the day before I had shared with the woman sitting beside me.  We exchanged knowing glances.  The Pastor revealed that we should consider Satan's temptations and God's tests as the same thing.  What Satan intends for evil, God intends for our good.  He went on to say that the devil often camouflages his schemes in ordinary, everyday experiences. Don't we often look at abnormal circumstances as the devil's handiwork?  If Satan prowls around like a lion looking to devour our faith, might we ask God to help us see the ordinary events Satan disguises, rather than assume it is the out-of-ordinary events that point to his crafty nature?  For example, think about the last contrary conversation you had with your spouse.  Was Satan working?  What about the time when gossip rolled off your tongue?  We all know this happens far more than we are willing to admit.  The misuse of our words shows Satan's influences in this fallen world.  How many sins go unnoticed as we become numb to the ordinary.  How does that impact our testimony?  I am so thankful that Jesus' blood covers the multitude of sins I commit, even when I am unaware of the effects of my failings.

Faith Responds:    

God continued to move my understanding of Faith as He reveals truth through the parable of the Ten Minas on Tuesday.  Last year as I looked at this passage, my homily focused on the resources (time and talent).  When I think of the works of my hands, I should question,  will they survive judgment?  This year my attention shifted.  I focused on the two distinct audiences that Jesus addressed in the telling of His parable.  First, Jesus spoke to servants, those called by God.  As a servant, we are to be about ‘His Business.’  How’s that going? 
Does my Faith Response bode well?  Am I responding with deep gratitude toward God's gift of grace, or do I undervalue that I have received through the blood of Jesus Christ who has given me new life?
 Second, Jesus talks about citizens who want nothing to do with His leadership.  He says, "their judgment is destruction.' One layer of this story talks about accountability; another layer is about love.  Is my love showing?

Faith Victorious:    

If I was not already been astounded by the congruency of the message of faith I received this sealed the deal.  As I was traveling by bus to Traverse City on Sunday morning, I finished reading Luke 23.  I found myself contemplating the position of the religious leaders who were pleading for the crucifixion of Jesus.  In their blindness, they believed they were doing a service to rid the world of a blasphemer. Jesus' death on the cross, for them, meant victory.  Little did they know that they had just fulfilled the Scriptures, working out God's plan in their defiance.  In hindsight, we recognize the triumph Jesus proclaims over sin and death by fulfilling Scriptures He fulfilled in His death and resurrection.
The religious leaders were vessels of dishonor, not understanding that by their actions, redemption is possible.
Faith wins Every Time, (just ask Matthew West)!  

     I hope this article will encourage you to record your Faith journey to see more clearly what lessons God wants to reveal to you.  I am grateful for all the beautiful lessons on Faith that I received this week.  What is the Holy Spirit teaching you?

Comments

Unknown said…
I really enjoyed this article and seeing what God isteaching through His Word as we just finished reading Luke last week and how you incorporated Gods spoken word by the message of faith.
Faith truly is a special gift bc without it we wouldn’t experience salvation for our souls. Our faith continues to be tested and grows so we can become more like Christ. Praise be to God!!

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me A Story

What is a Gotcha Day?

For When (i am) Weak, Then (I AM) Strong