Accountability - Asking for It

 


     I am offering-- you have permission to ask me and to hold me accountable-- for how I treat others.  Wouldn’t we all be much better representatives for Jesus if we offered this to one another as brothers and sisters in Christ?

     During my daily reading, I uncovered three types of identities in Luke 6: (1) identities we choose, (2) identities that have been applied by others, and (3) identities that are imposed upon us.  In this article, I want to point our attention toward the response we have when identities are imposed upon us.   When reading Luke 6, I noticed that my translation used the word ‘who’ or a form of ‘who’ like whose or whom, thirty times.  This use of the word ‘who’  was a clue that Jesus wished to speak about identities.  Not only was he talking about identities, but he wanted to speak to the crowd that came to listen (see verse 18).  Listening was not their only objective; they also wanted to be cured of diseases or relieved of demonic spirits.  Listening is important when Jesus speaks.  If you’re not a person who wishes to listen, then you can stop reading now; I will not be offended.  But if you stop, then you are actually listening, so please continue.

     We receive instructions through the Scriptures because we need them.   As I pick up God’s Word, I’m not just reading stories; I’m looking for principles.  God’s Word is full of instructions, and they are not for the faint of heart.  If we didn’t need rules, laws, or instructions on how to treat one another, as believers in Jesus, we probably wouldn’t need our Bibles.  Unfortunately, that is how much of our world responds. 

     In Luke 6:32-34 (ESV), Jesus tells us that we don’t need instructions on things that come naturally to us.  “If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you?  For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you?  For even sinners do the same.  And if you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you?  Even sinners lend to sinners, to get back the same amount.”  It is in the areas that run contrary to our natural inclinations or impulsive responses where we need instruction.  Jesus starts with our enemies.  Do you have a list of names?  If so, the teaching is clear.  We are to love, simple, yet not easy.  Next, Jesus gives us a list of six responses that come from outside ourselves that will be imposed upon us, including (1) hatred, (2) cursing, (3) abuse, (4) physical harm, (5) taking from us, and (6) borrowing without intention to return.  This proposition is not an ‘if’  but a ‘when.’  If you are looking for a loophole, you will not find it. 

     Further down the passage, we find that we need not just be hearers of the Word but doers (see verse 47).  Jesus testifies that if we hear Him and do what he says, we will build a firm foundation.  But if we hear and do not do, we will create a faulty foundation that will crumble.   When we read a passage like this, one that includes instructions, our ears should perk up.  We should pay attention.  Instructions are for our benefit, for our transformation.  We should be sitting in anticipation that these actions will be imposed on us by others, and our response will be a matter of transformation or decline. 

     Today I asked God to help me pay attention, to pause, and to respond appropriately.  So guess what I can expect?   God will grant this prayer; I am confident because my request is according to God’s will.  Scary, huh!  Well, if we desire to grow in the Fruit of the Spirit, don’t we have to be willing to be tested?  We need to allow God to have His way with us.   Isn’t it better for us to ask with a willing spirit than to struggle with unwillingness and be unprepared at the time when testing occurs?  Because of this prayer, I know that I will see opportunities to grow.  It is a risk I’m willing to take.  So, you have my permission to ask me how I’m doing.  When opposition arises, it can be a reminder that I’ve decided to be a ‘doer’ and not just a hearer of God’s Word.  Do you want to join me?   Yes, I believe I hear a faint ‘Amen.’ Let me hear you again with conviction.

Comments

Unknown said…
I'm concerned that it is usually Christians leading complaints against government lately. Some of the most vocal are people of faith. They don't see their actions as violating any scripture. There's not a lot of love being shown, regardless of how strongly you fight for personal liberties. Since the way we love one another is how we'll convince the world that we are Christ's disciples, it's little wonder we are failing to reach our culture. I think we could all use some accountability right now.

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me A Story

For When (i am) Weak, Then (I AM) Strong

What is a Gotcha Day?