What's Driving Our Actions?

 

     This morning as I reviewed passages found in 1 Corinthians chapters 9 through 11, I noted the style that Paul was using to teach the church in Corinth; he asked questions.  When translators of my English Standard Version included punctuation, the content of three short chapters included thirty-four question marks.  As a listener, if you didn’t feel like you were under interrogation, you might want to check your pulse to see if you were still among the living.  So, what was Paul’s objective in his rapid firing of questions?  Was he seeking answers?  Did you notice that I just asked two questions using Paul’s teaching technique?  Okay, now three!  The nature of Paul’s teaching was to turn the hearts of his listeners.  He was helping them to see themselves as he was observing their behavior.  Has anyone helped you see yourself better lately?

     Let’s look at some of the questions Paul asked early in the first few verses of chapter nine:    

·        Am I not free?

·        Am I not an apostle?

·        Have I not seen Jesus our LORD?

·        Are you not my workmanship in the LORD?

     These first inquiries were to help the church consider who he was in relationship with them.  Did he have the authority to speak into their lives?  Paul claimed to have a unique connection to those within the church; he did not claim to share this with all men.  Following these initial questions, Paul offered a defense by asking twelve more questions.  Paul wished to prove his entitlement to speak about the things he proclaimed using an issue that no one could contest.  “Do we not have the right to eat and drink?”  One would be hard-pressed to find anyone who would disagree that this is a human right.  Yet later in the passage, Paul will point to an example that shows them their hearts on this matter.  Paul then points out many sacrifices that both he and his traveling companion, Barnabas, have made on behalf of the church in Corinth.  Paul turns their attention to Scriptures to prove his claim to the rights they have left unexercised.  He is not looking to shame them.  On the contrary, he is asking them to consider why he is worthy of being imitated. 

     Paul claims not to be acting in this manner as a response to his own will, but because God entrusted him to stewardship.  The purpose behind all of Paul’s actions was for the sake of saving lost souls.  In 1 Corinthians 9:19-23, we see that Paul makes it his ambition to become all things for all people to save some from eternal damnation.  When I consider Paul’s request found in 1 Corinthians 11:1, “Be imitators of me,” I wonder about my motivation to the relationships that God has entrusted to me.  How have I become what is needed for the sake of my family?  For whose sake do I create relationships in my neighborhood?  How am I serving needs in my community, in my church, or those I befriend on social media?  Where is my focus?  I’m not noticeably different than most people until I renew my mind with Scriptures.  Does my daily practice of applying Scriptures to my life allow God to change my thinking?  As I studied this morning's passage, it is easy to see that Paul was aiming at the hearts of the people to change their pattern of fellowship with others.  As we search our own hearts, what does this passage reveal to us? 

     Paul then turns their attention toward an illustration of running a race.  He indicates that it is pointless to engage in an activity like this without a goal in mind.  Our orientation to become involved with Christ should also be purposeful. As in a race, the goal is to win.  Paul indicates that his involvement with believers requires that he set his eyes upon the destination, lest he becomes disqualified.  Is this a good place to pause and ask ourselves this question, “What is my aim today?”  Do I have my plate so full of activities that I fail to add any eternal value to anyone else’s life?  Where is my heart set?  Am I living intending to serve myself or serve others?  To those of the world, is my aim to address their eternal need, or am I aiming at something far less significant?  Who have I prayed for on behalf of their soul?  I don’t believe that my preaching to anyone is the aim of my dialogue. Still, I can address the motivations behind my actions and look to see where an opportunity may present itself to speak about my faith and foundation in Jesus Christ.  How have I trained my heart and my mind to seek these opportunities?  As I observe Paul, what sets his character well ahead of my own is that he seems compelled to always act in a manner worthy of his calling, not just sometimes but as his primary pursuit.    

     Earlier in the book of 1 Corinthians, Paul uses the example of not eating food offered to idols for the sake of others whose conscience is pricked by guilt over such action; however, in this section, he is asking believers to evaluate this topic in more depth.  He has used the argument that other gods don’t actually exist, but now he points to the fact that demons do.    What is represented behind the consumption of such food is dishonoring to God.  It becomes vital that we consider there are only two paths, honoring God or honoring His adversary.  Paul’s lesson can teach us that aimless living without self-discipline can easily camouflage who we are serving.  Our hearts may need to be reset, just like the believers in Corinth.  What is the motivation behind my plans?  Who am I serving?  For whose sake am I living?  How important is it that I consider my daily activities in light of what God has purposed for me to do?  Who do I know that needs Jesus?       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me A Story

For When (i am) Weak, Then (I AM) Strong

What is a Gotcha Day?