Revelation and Purpose


     I sit down each morning with ambition on writing a scene or two in a fictional story I am creating.  I’ve been giving a lot of thought to the characters, their personalities, and what defines them.  I think about the plotline and how I can move the story forward.  But before I begin writing a single word, I make sure that I’ve spent time with the LORD.  One of my go-to verses, written by the apostle Paul in Romans 12:1-2 (ESV), says, “I appeal to you, therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.  Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.  It is a verse I use to help direct my steps.
     One year ago, while reading the same passages that I read this morning, I was not attempting to write a book.  At that time, my ambition was to create a weekly blog post that focused my attention on Eternity.  When reading John, chapter 20, my eyes were drawn to the reason why John had written his book.  John wrote his purpose down:

“Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.”  John 20:30-31 (ESV)

Like John, my writing is also purpose-driven; I can think of no higher calling than the one Jesus gave his disciples in John 20:21 (ESV), which says, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.”  If you have a desire to pray on my behalf, I hope that my writing will serve the purpose of sowing seeds for Salvation, and encourage other believers to do the same.  It is so easy to become lethargic in our spiritual walk.  We begin to think that our daily activities don’t really matter.  The Bible tells us they do.  We have been designed with a purpose.  It is the very reason that breath fills our lungs, and our steps have been established.




     In a book that I’m working on, I’ve sketched out my main characters.  One of my main characters focuses extensively on being a responsible seed sower.  Her downfall is that she has assumed too much responsibility for the care and nurture of other souls; it goes beyond what she has control over.  As I consider how to write this character into her scenes, I realize that I have much in common with her.  It is not a coincidence that God has laid this story on my heart.  
  
     This morning, the Holy Spirit guided my understanding to show me that Jesus takes a personal interest in those who are called by His name.  In John’s account, his story begins with Mary Magdalene.  It then continues to Simon Peter (and the other disciple, probably himself).  In the evening of the same day, the story focuses on the other disciples (not including Thomas) and then concludes eight days later when Thomas experiences Jesus.  What struck me as I read this account, is Jesus revealed himself in various ways.  Let’s begin with Mary.

Mary Magdalene

 Mary’s account is divided between verses 1-2, and verses 11-18.  Her story shows us that Mary held the belief that Jesus was still dead; His lifeless body had been removed from the tomb.  Within these ten verses, Mary says three times that Jesus has been laid elsewhere.  She was not expecting a ‘live’ Jesus encounter.  You can read this account below: 

Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb.  So she ran and went to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one whom Jesus loved, and said to them, “They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid him.”
But Mary stood weeping outside the tomb, and as she wept she stooped to look into the tomb. And she saw two angels in white, sitting where the body of Jesus had lain, one at the head and one at the feet. They said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping?” She said to them, “They have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid him.”  Having said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing, but she did not know that it was Jesus.
 Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?” Supposing him to be the gardener, she said to him, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away.” Jesus said to her, “Mary.” She turned and said to him in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (which means Teacher).  Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’ ” Mary Magdalene went and announced to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord”—and that he had said these things to her.’  John 20:1-2, 11-18 (ESV)




How did Jesus reveal Himself to her?  A single word, “Mary,” Jesus called her by name.  Words can be powerful, but none more powerful than one’s spoken directly from the mouth of God.  It was Jesus who opened her eyes through her ears.  Now that sounds odd, doesn’t it?  Don’t we see with our eyes and hear with our ears?  Next, Let’s look at the story of Simon Peter and ‘the other disciple.’  It’s okay to use your eyes!

Simon Peter and the Other Disciple

     The next encounter is with two of the three disciples who were found in Jesus' inner circle, Peter and John (minus James).  Don’t you wonder what James might have been up to when his other two counterparts were racing to Jesus' tomb?  Here, John, the younger and more agile disciple, reserved the right for Peter to enter the tomb first, even though his running skills were far better.  In re-reading this passage, I was caught off guard by the description of Jesus’ burial garments, the body wrapping was left in disarray, but the head covering had been nicely folded and set aside.  This clue, or should we say, glue, made the message stick.  Jesus did not show up or speak up to bring this revelation; He merely folded His shroud.  See this passage below:

” So Peter went out with the other disciple, and they were going toward the tomb. Both of them were running together, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first. And stooping to look in, he saw the linen cloths lying there, but he did not go in. Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb. He saw the linen cloths lying there, and the face cloth, which had been on Jesus’ head, not lying with the linen cloths but folded up in a place by itself. Then the other disciple, who had reached the tomb first, also went in, and he saw and believed;  for as yet they did not understand the Scripture, that he must rise from the dead. Then the disciples went back to their homes.  John 20:3-10 (ESV)

     I can almost envision Peter picking up the folded linen, and John slapping his hands and saying, “Put that down, you don’t want to tamper with evidence.”  One must wonder why, after this revelation, both men when home.  Later they are hiding behind closed doors with the other disciples (minus Thomas this time).  Let’s look at the next encounter.

All the Disciples, but Thomas

       Can you imagine fearfully huddling behind a locked door, speaking in whispers in fear of the Jewish religious leaders, and then out of thin air, Jesus appears?  I imagine the background music might resemble something you would hear in “The Shining.”  But since it’s Jesus, might the ambiance sound more like Pentatonix singing “The Hallelujah Chorus?  Since the disciples were glad when they saw Jesus, I have to believe it was the latter.  Do you agree?  Here is the account:  




On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being locked where the disciples were for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.” When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord.  Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.” John 20:19-23 (ESV) 

Jesus reveals Himself, a presence.  It was not a Word, nor a Clue.  After revealing Himself, Jesus gave the disciples an assignment and then breathed on them.  We know that this is not the account we read in Acts 2 when the Holy Spirit’s power to speak in tongues was given, but in this setting, the disciples were given the power to forgive sins.  Lastly, we come to the story of Thomas.

Thomas

      Thomas did not come to believe in Jesus Christ because of his friends’ account, even when they came telling him about their encounter behind locked doors.  Thomas needed more evidence than the testimony of his friends.  Jesus didn’t say, “Thomas,” and his eyes were opened, nor did he see a folded garment.  Thomas needed to touch Jesus.  As Jesus arrived, in the same manner, he had only eight days before. Jesus didn’t waste any time in speaking to Thomas.  He didn’t wait for Thomas to request evidence; Jesus offered it to him.  Jesus desired that Thomas believe.  See the account below:

Now Thomas, one of the twelve, called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord.” But he said to them, “Unless I see in his hands the mark of the nails, and place my finger into the mark of the nails, and place my hand into his side, I will never believe.”

Eight days later, his disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe.” Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” John 20:24-28 (ESV)

    





Do you think Thomas’ doubt was recorded to show us his weakness or to show us our own?  Have you ever required evidence to know something is true?  I believe that this account was included to profit us.  The apostle Paul tells Timothy, “But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:14–17 (ESV)
    So on that note, I started this article revealing that John’s writing has been written with a purpose (John 20:30-31); and I am concluding with the apostle Paul’s instruction that Scripture has a purpose (2 Timothy 3:16-17).   John’s hope is that we will believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that by believing we will have life in His name.  Paul revealed that ‘God-breathed Scriptures’ are provided to complete and equip us for good work.  So, for what purpose have I written this article?  Although I intended to show several reasons, the Holy Spirit may reveal something beyond what I’ve exposed.  Here are my goals for writing this:
1.)    To show evidence that Jesus reveals Himself differently to each of us to meet our individual needs,
2.)    To confirm that Scriptures are purpose-driven, unlike any other story,
3.)    To remind us that we have been called to sow the Word, and
4.)    To suggest that even though we have Scriptures, man must decide to use them to become complete and equipped for every good work.  (see 2 Tim. 3:17)

     Both in my personal journey and now as I transform my fictional character through a story that represents real life, I assume a role that has not been given to me. Just because I am a messenger doesn’t mean I have the power to bring Salvation to anyone, regardless of how much I love them.  I am only the messenger; my job description tells me to go and tell of Jesus Christ.  It is God who grants Salvation.    Here are Jesus words on this subject:

It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.  But there are some of you who do not believe.” (For Jesus knew from the beginning who those were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray him.) And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.”   John 6:63–65 (ESV) 

Comments

Pamelia Medendorp said…
You are sowing well! I am also praying that those who read, like myself, determine by
Christ’s VERY (verily, verily I say unto you) words and listen to His words as they are sown!
What We take to our heart determines The direction where we are led To do and grow , as a fruitful seed !
Unknown said…
Thank you for this writing. To see His words put into a different perspective is so helpful. It changes how I look at them and use them!
GayleP said…

As soon as I read what you said the downfall was of one of your main characters, I thought "ah, that sounds like Rhonda" and then I continued to read where you said you have some things in common with this character....and I chuckled. I've followed your blog off and on, sometimes you are way beyond my comprehension (that or I'm not focused enough)....and sometimes, like this article, I soak in your words and want more.....I want more understanding of the Scriptures told in the way you did here. Thank you for your thoughts and for laying out the scripture stories the way you do.

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me A Story

For When (i am) Weak, Then (I AM) Strong

What is a Gotcha Day?