Earnest Prayer


  This morning, my family and I woke up with a case of the blahs.  It is easy to do when one day blends into the next without any significant change in activities.  I was equally afraid that the blahs would set in during my daily Bible reading as I read a familiar passage.  Thanks be to God that it didn't.  Two sections of Matthew chapter 9 stood out as if they were printed in bold lettering.
  •             The first came to light as the Pharisees criticized Jesus for mingling with sinners.
Jesus heard the grumblings of the Pharisees and responded: "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.' For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners." (see Matthew 9:12-13 ESV)

  •             The second Jesus spoke to his disciples while observing the crowd.
Jesus observing the needs of the people responded: 'When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few;  therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest." (see Matthew 9:36-38 ESV)

     My heart shift was noticeable.  I recognized the request that Jesus made of his disciples.  He was appealing to them to pray earnestly.  Coupled with this observation, Jesus had already shared that only those aware of their illness would seek a physician.  I came to realize how appropriate the pandemic we find ourselves in is the perfect illustration of this point.  As we sit isolated in our homes with hopes of not contracting the Covid19 virus, are our hearts genuinely receptive to recognize what we call illness? Let's evaluate our current situation, What would get you to leave your house to be tested for Covid19?  For most, I would suspect it would be the same.  We would need to recognize that we carry some of the known symptoms, and second we would need to consider the severity of those symptoms.  Even when we know that some, who have this virus, are without symptoms, we would probably find ourselves hesitant to discover we were an asymptomatic carrier.  Some may be seeking help, while others are avoiding exposure.  Although Jesus healed the physical ailments of people, the illness Jesus speaks of was not physical but spiritual.  The Pharisees were unaware that they were carries of spiritual sickness.  They were not seeking to resolve their own spiritual condition.  Meanwhile they were gravely affecting others by their teaching.  

     Many of us are praying for the frontline responders during this pandemic.  We are noticing that they are putting their lives at risk.  We can see from endless news stories that some will die from this illness.  The death count is rising.  The request that Jesus made to his disciples was not about the physical condition.  Jesus was asking that prayers be lifted to secure workers for the eternal harvest.  When someone experiences physical death without Christ, there is no future hope.  We need to pray that people of faith are willing to be called forward into assignments that respond to the eternal needs of humanity.  Death is inevitable, it will come to all.  Jesus plea was for lost souls.  What could be more valuable than securing hope in this fallen world?  Jesus clearly says we do not have enough responders to meet the needs of those whose eternities are at risk.

     Next, I thought it important to look at the intensity of my prayers.  I often experience a lack of emotion when I pray, like the blahs I described in this morning's monotonous routine.  It seems relevant to ask, 'What does it mean to be earnest in prayer?' According to the definition, earnest means with sincerity and intense conviction.  Like me, you might ask, 'What creates sincerity and intense conviction?  This is a question we rarely ask, but surprisingly you may find a quick response like I did.  I have to believe in something so deeply that it affects how I live my life.  It is a belief in which I will not waiver.  When I look at how Jesus asked his disciples to pray, can we ask ourselves if our convictions run deep enough for us to respond in obedience?  The apostle Paul seems to act upon this conviction throughout his ministry.  Jesus and the apostles were looking at the eternal needs of people.  Are we praying for this type of laborer?  

     As you read this article, you may be like many people sitting in their homes, out of work, because someone has deemed what you do as non-essential.  Without the label, 'essential,' your job is seen as something that is not worth risking your life. Isn't it interesting to see what humanity deems essential?  Jesus recognized our distorted mindsets when he speaks on the issue of anxiety in Matthew 6:25.  He says, "Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?" How many of us can honestly say we have not had some worrisome thoughts about food?  Jesus' focus was not on things God has promised to provide for our wellbeing; he was concerned about the foundation that supports our life.  Are we too engaged in what the world thinks we should be doing instead of paying close attention to what the Bible reveals.  Are we praying for the harvesters of food, or the harvester of souls?

     Jesus tells us that we need to focus on the greater need.  So, if one were to pray earnestly, what should we be praying for?  Should we aim more of our prayers at the lives of those who suffer from spiritual illness that they will find the Good Shepherd?  I found this thought alarming as I've begun to question my own approach to prayer during this pandemic. I've started to ask some heart-convicting questions like: 

1.     Do I feel enough compassion for those whose souls are lost?  
2.     Why do my prayers lack intensity for things that matter most to God?  
3.     Why am I fattening myself of spiritual feedings, without feeding others what my soul desires?    
4.     Will I continue to think more deeply with purpose once the risk of this pandemic is no longer a crises?
5.     Will I find myself returning to the 'old' normal when restrictions are lifted?
 
     It is only fair that I reveal what is going on in my own heart.  I recognize that my vision needs improvement.  When I look at the world, what do I see?  Answer:  I see flaws.  What does Jesus see?  Answer:  He sees sheep without a shepherd.  To change the convictions that drive my response, I need to see the world as Jesus sees it.  My focus needs to be on the real need, not external circumstances that show us only the surface.  Through human eyes, we see visible maladies; whereas God looks at us and sees the condition of our heart.  How does one acquire compassion for the things that are most important to God?  At the core of compassion is empathy for human suffering.  We understand suffering as a human condition; it is relatable.  It is compassion that moved Jesus.  Intensity involves having or showing strong feelings (emotions).  Luke 22:44 (ESV) reveals, "And being in agony he prayed more earnestly; and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground." Jesus experienced an intense conviction that our salvation depended upon his willingness to die for our sins.  Could there be anything more intense than that?

     I asked myself, are my prayers aligned with what Jesus requested of his disciples?  Am I praying earnestly for workers to enter the harvest?  Am I concerned enough for the spiritually sick?  At this current time, God is opening our eyes to what we value the most.  God is stripping away all the non-essentials to reveal our hearts.  Where does your heart align with Jesus' request?  For me, I believe tears are a sign that I am deeply moved by circumstance.  When emotions run deep, I can lose my appetite for food.  Even with my best intentions, I recognize that I am failing to see the real need for people around me.  There is strong evidence that I am failing to pray as I should.  Last week I was listening to a program by Lee Strobel when he asked this question, "If Jesus were to appear to you today, and say, 'I will answer every request you made of me last week,' how many more people would enter through the gates of heaven?" This was a startling revelation for me.  Let us make today a day of deeper reflection.  Try not to leave any question I've asked unanswered.  It is time we ask ourselves, 'What will it take to focus on the right thing?'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons Learned - Handling Disappointment

Tell Me A Story

What is a Gotcha Day?