The Invitation



Evaluating Priorities


      It is a New Year, and often people select a theme, a direction, or an idea of what will drive their intentions for the year.  Choosing to focus on something meaningful or engaging isn’t a bad thing.  Recently my focus has been drawn to the word ‘Invite.’  This morning my study brought more clarity on this subject.  In the Parable, The Great Banquet, an invitation has been extended to several guests.  Each invitee has decided to decline the offer.  
  • I have bought a field, and I must go out and see it.
  • I have bought five 'yoke of oxen,' and I must go examine them, and
  • I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.
When reading this parable (Luke 14:17-24), I find it very easy to judge these responses and call them excuses.  I must; however, keep in mind that I’ve received eyes to see and ears that hear.  The respondent has not yet acquired the same insight.  They do not understand the significance of the invitation.  I know what their decision will cost them;  the criteria for their decision making is based on what they would prefer to do or not do.  Freewill lends itself, making the wrong decision; love hopes to find a way to communicate the consequences before it is too late.   

     We could read this story as the parable of foolish decisions, but better yet, why not look at what it can reveal to us.  It appears that the invited in this parable are casually responding by what is most important to them at this moment in time.  Jesus warns us that this decision is significantly important.  After all, it is the “GREAT” banquet.  What could be more important?   

Follow Me   


     In the 9th chapter of Luke, we read about another invitation, an invitation to follow Jesus.  In this story, there are also three responses:
  • I will follow you wherever you go,
  • Lord, let me first go and bury my father, and
  • I will follow you, Lord, but let me first say farewell to those at my home.
To the first, Jesus teaches that commitment carries a cost.  To the second, he responds, it is a time-limited offer, and to the third, eyes straight ahead, no looking back.  Of course, I am paraphrasing Jesus' response; please read Luke 9:57-62 to see what Jesus is teaching.  Both stories reveal that we should review our priorities to make sure they line up with the outcome we are seeking.  Jesus says, “Come.” 

My Priority


     As easy as it might be to write about setting the right priorities and learning not to make excuses, the real motivation behind this article is to talk about the invitation.  When we commit to extending an invitation to someone, we desire a positive response.  I’m not talking about inviting someone to a birthday party.  I am talking about an invitation to learn more about Jesus.   In the parable of The Great Banquet, rejecting the invite carries an insurmountable cost.  Also, to accept the ‘Follow Me’ invite comes with instructions to access the cost, one invitation-eternal reward, another temporary commitment (until the gates of heaven open) and we choose no other avenue.  Neither of these two invitations seems to be offered with the ‘take your time and think about it and get back to me when convenient.’  In both, the responder must decide which road to travel.  

An Offensive Invitation


     By observing the text, we do not see an internal dialogue going on behind the scenes where the inviter is thinking, “I hope you are not offended by my invitation.  The reason I bring up this issue is that sometimes we experience fear when we think about asking someone a question.  Through extending an invitation, we have the opportunity to learn something about ourselves while we are learning about the priorities of another person.  
    Some think that it is impolite or even rude to bring up a conversation about politics or religion, and that includes an invitation.  A contractor who was working in my home was talking about how he had raised $10,000 single-handedly for the leukemia foundation and that he was very involved in Special Olympics.  The children in this program referred to him as 'uncle.'  It sounded like this was something that he was very proud to share.  I asked him if it might be a spiritual endeavor that caused him to be involved in this kind of work.  He gave me a strange look.  I replied to the look and said, “Do you have a church you call home?”  He responded, “Don’t judge me!”  I guess that is a way of expressing pain when a question causes a sting.  I asked, “Was that question judgmental?”  His response, “You will never meet anyone with a bigger heart for others than mine.”  I smiled.  He said, “I am the biggest giver I know.”  It revealed to me that he must have a ‘works-based’ belief system.  He said, “I lost my Dad a few years ago and I raised my eyes and prayed to the source of life.’  I said, “I’m really sorry to hear about your Dad; it is hard to lose someone significant to us.”  I realized that he didn’t understand my inquiry, but then again, I had to question whether I understood his need.  I asked, “Does the one you pray to have a name?”  He indicated that he didn’t need a name.  One can then deduce that he didn’t view God as one who desired a personal relationship with him.  I felt blessed to know that my heavenly Father has a name and doesn’t even mind if I call Him ‘Daddy’ (Abba Father). 

     As not to become combative or appear to be someone who was more righteous, we shifted to another topic, one he preferred.  I felt a gentle peace pass over me that said, “He’s not rejecting you. He has rejected Me.”  I had planted a seed, and it fell on ‘rocky soil.’  His response doesn’t deter me from planting another seed.  Jesus said, “And I tell you, everyone who acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man also will acknowledge before the angels of God, but the one who denies me before men will be denied before the angels of God. (Luke 12:8-9, ESV) The invitation was extended as an act of obedience to God’s calling.

An Ulterior Motivation

     Another thing I do not see in either teaching is an attachment to the outcome.  The person receiving the invitation has the freedom to say either, ‘yes’ or ‘no.’  The invitee is not taking the answer personally, even when it is apparent that time is running out.  The understanding of the significance of the invitation doesn’t seem to scream desperation, nor should we.  What happens when we ask someone we love who is unchurched to join us for worship when we are thinking, “I know that you are heading in the wrong direction and ultimately if you do not change the course, you will be heading someplace very undesirable.”  The person we invite may read the baggage we have attached to their invitation.  We may think, “if only they knew that asking them to church was the most loving thing that I could do for them because their eternity is at stake.”  They may hear, “look at this overly righteous person thinking they are better than me.”  Since we cannot read their heart, it is best when extending an invitation that we understand our own motivation.  

     I was standing in a long line with a full cart at the grocery store.  There were only a few clerks on duty, but lots of shoppers because the weather prediction indicated that we would be hit with a severe ice storm in less than 24 hours.  I started a casual conversation with the lady in the line next to me.  I asked if she too were stocking her refrigerator based on the weather report.  She said, ‘yes,’ then added, ‘I absolutely love the excitement that surrounds this kind of weather.  We just moved here from Ohio.'  I asked a few more questions and learned that she was retired, and had relocated about a year ago.  After back and forth ‘getting to know you’ remarks, I learned that she was very content living in West Michigan.  I asked, 'So, what do you like to do in our area.'  She listed several activities and shared how many of their friends had come for a visit.  Reasoning that her weekends were filled with houseguests, I asked, 'so have you found a good church family?'  To which she immediately responded, 'no, not looking, not interested, no, we have no interest in those things.'  A simple question, lots of answers, ruffled feathers.  I smiled, 'Well, this area is known as the Bible-belt, I'm sure you've discovered that by now.  If you were looking, I could make a great suggestion.’  She said, 'no, thank you.'   The subject changed, but we continued to talk until we finished our grocery transactions.   I do not know if God placed that person on my path for a given reason, and I had to consider that maybe my offer was meant for other ears that were listening.  Another seed planted, seeds are plentiful.  It does not benefit me if I hold on to them.  No ill intention, no ulterior motives, the seed passed through my fingers with ease.  God would entrust other opportunities that aligned with my desire to serve Him.  

How Do I Start a Gospel Conversation?

     Starting a gospel conversation is not different than any other conversation that we may engage in, but I believe that to have a gospel conversation, someone needs to start it.  Our world is too broken to conclude that they begin without intention.   Do you get butterflies in the pit of your stomach when you contemplate how to extend the invitation?   Whether it is a family member, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger, we shouldn’t consider ‘gospel conversations’ small talk.  It is important and it is relevant.  Could it be that what causes us discomfort is that we are trying to formulate words in our own strength?  In the Bible, we see teaching that tells us that the Holy Spirit can help us find the right words to say, but we have to step aside and allow Him to speak.  If we’ve checked our hearts to make sure that we do not hold judgment when extending an invitation, we are much more likely to allow the invitation to pass from our lips to another’s ears.  
     Another question to ask our self, “Have I asked God for the opportunity to be used for his glory?” or “How might I sow a seed?  When my priorities are set on sharing Christ with others, and my motivations are pure, I believe God will open our eyes to see the opportunities He has placed before us.  Keeping our minds set on things above will keep us from being distracted and miss something He has planned for us to accomplish.  We may have a few awkward conversations, but ultimately, we will find the more we seek God’s will, the more meaningful our lives become.   

Practice


     In December, you may recall that I shared a story of how I encouraged kids to share their faith by wrapping a gift and sharing it with a friend.  I had several ten and eleven-year-olds who were interested in sharing the gospel story with their friends, but several kids were resistant.  They were willing to wrap the gift but admitted that they would not share it with anybody.  You could see that they had already made up their mind that sharing Jesus was not cool.
     One might find it intrusive to talk to a friend, let alone a stranger.  Reading the examples set in Scripture, we learn how Jesus sent out twelve and then seventy-two and instructed them precisely what to do.  First, they were to extend peace, and if peace was rejected, then they were to shake the dust from their sandals.  The reception one receives determines whether we remain in the conversation or go.
     Let me assure you that offering an invitation is not just a one-sided experience.  I found an interesting Q&A forum where someone posed the question, "Is it bad to reject a friend's invitation to church or Bible study?"  The person posing the question received seventeen responses.  It appears that the person asking the question wished not to offend their friend, but they seemed to have no interest in accepting the offer.  Reading each person’s response lent insight into what goes on in the mind of others who think differently than I do.  Some suggested a casual response of “I am not interested.”  Others seemed to be offended by the audacity of someone to suggest that they go to church in the first place.  Much communication between people is left unspoken.  It never hurts to discover what may be left unsaid.  Jesus often asked questions rather than make statements, which helped those surrounding the conversation to see what was at the heart of the matter.  In Luke 6:45 (ESV), we read Jesus' words, The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.”  If we become better listeners, words leave great clues to what is in the heart.
     I would venture to guess that most Christians would want others to know the peace, joy, and love that Jesus brings into our lives.  We know that many false teachers among us aren’t afraid to tickle ears.  Exposure to the truth is vitally important.  Our invitations are given with the hope that any ear can be open to truth.  We don’t become someone else’s conscience.  If we extend our invitation without judgment when we hear ‘no thank you,’ our hearts may still ache, but we can know for sure that we have been obedient messengers.  If we trust that God’s promises never fail, we can have full assurance Jesus' words are true.  Matthew 7:7–8 (ESV) “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened." Our problem begins when we believe we can help others find what they are unwilling to seek.
     Before we invite, we can whisper a prayer.  We can ask God to place people on our path who will be receptive to His invitation.  We can ask God where He wants us to sow seeds.  Rather than forcing seeds down cracks in other people’s lives, it is more loving to pray for them.  Forced entry creates offense.  Have you seen evidence of God changing someone’s heart in an instant?  Consider Paul on the road to Damascus.  We need to be careful that we don’t hold on to the false impression that we can bring anyone to salvation.  We extend God’s invitation; Salvation is God’s to give.  We are to till the soil, plant the seed, and water as needed.  We may plant seeds that other’s harvest.  As fruitful as we would like to be, God determines how he will use each of us.
     We can hope that the soil we sow our seeds into is receptive to growth; however, the parable of the soils teaches us that we can expect a 25% return on our investment (four soils, one holds).  We shouldn’t let our impression of the soil determine whether we will sow the seed.  In The Great Banquet parable found in Luke 14, we see that the one who rejects the invitation will not enjoy the banquet.  Jesus is referring to the Marriage Feast of the Lamb (see Revelations 19:6-9).  The apostle Paul gives us a clear picture of the present time, “But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people.“  (2 Timothy 3:1-5, ESV)  
     When we offer a, ‘You are cordially invited to attend the Great Banquet’ conversation, we should release the invitees' response into the hands of Jesus.  Fruitfulness does not come from fighting those who do not want to come.  It is better if we locate those who want to accept.  We need to remember, we are God's messengers.  The Kingdom at hand is His.  The invitation is His.  He's hosting the banquet.    


Romans 1:20–21 (ESV)  

 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.  For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me A Story

For When (i am) Weak, Then (I AM) Strong

What is a Gotcha Day?