What's Love Got to Do With It?

    What a blessing we experience when new insights emerge in the reading of a familiar passage of Scripture.  For the past several weeks, I’ve been enjoying the gospel of John.  As I was reading the 20th chapter, John provides his reason for writing this gospel.  He says, “Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.”  (John 20:30-31, ESV). You might think those are the concluding remarks, and John is ready to call his publisher, yet the book continues to chapter 21.   

Addendum or Continuation? 


     Is this next story a continuation from the last, or an afterthought and added as an addendum?  John begins by recounting the story of Jesus third appearance to the disciples following his resurrection.  Jesus is preparing breakfast on the shore when he calls out to Peter and six other disciples who are fishing on a boat.  It had been a rough night for the fishermen because they haven’t caught a thing.  Jesus, shouting to be heard, says, "cast your nets on the right side of the boat."  When they do, their nets are filled with an abundance of fish, so many fish that their nets should tear, but don't.  


     Pause for a moment.  John is telling the story, but like all other accounts in this gospel, he refers to himself as 'the other disciple.'  He was either a very humble writer, or he wasn't comfortable referring to himself in the third person.  It is interesting in this story that he mentions that it was he who recognized Jesus on the shore before anyone else and then tells Peter.  Peter, not fully-clothed, because he's fishing, quickly throws on a robe of sorts and jumps in the lake and swims to shore.  Peter's impatience, like past stories John has told about him is revealed in his eagerness to be with Jesus.  He is not willing to wait to tend to the fish, nor is he willing to row to shore.  Dear John doesn't always shed the best light on his brother from another mother, Peter.


      Once the disciples enjoy their breakfast, Jesus returns to a familiar role, teaching.  Peter appears to be the central theme being used as an example for the other six disciples who have consumed a breakfast of fish, with Jesus.  Although this is not a corrective lesson, one might think it is.  At first glance, it might appear that Jesus is uncertain of Peter’s commitment to the Kingdom cause; however, I believe Jesus was showing Peter that love is an action. 


     Because this is a familiar story, I decided to ask myself some specific questions so that I wouldn't concur that I already understood the lesson.  One might think that Jesus is asking Peter the same question three times, "Peter, do you love me?"  But at closer examination I discovered that Jesus asked a different question in the first round and appeared to ask a new question twice following his first inquiry.  Because Peter appeared to answer each question the same way, I missed this in my first reading.


     In my previous study of this passage and review of commentaries, it seems that many like to focus on three questions that match nicely to the previous three denials that Peter had made on the day Jesus was taken into custody.  Did John write this story to emphasize that Jesus was attempting to focus on the three contradictory denials so that Peter would feel horrible about his betrayal?  Today I will share another viewpoint.
 

The Lesson 


     Obviously, we know that John writes with purpose, so let's look for the lesson in this story.  I do not think that chapter 21 was an add-on, but a continuation.  I believe that this story will teach us that there is a response that follows salvation.  The sole response is not gratitude for receiving a gift of grace, but it is a response that comes naturally for those who love Jesus. 

The Questions and The Answers 


      As the story continues in John 21:15, we see Jesus questions Peter’s feelings for him.  In human terms, if someone were to ask you how you feel about them, they are asking you to confess your devotion to them.  The person making the request wants assurance, but by repeating the question, it is no longer assurance, but reassurance.  The person asking may feel insecure, or they do not believe that you are telling the truth.  This isn't the case with Jesus.


     Jesus knows how Peter feels about him, but Jesus wants Peter to know how he felt about Jesus.  It wasn't either assuring or reassuring that Jesus was after, but he was helping Peter get in touch with his own heart.  It was for Peter's benefit.  Like many lessons we have learned from Scripture, Jesus wants to shift our viewpoint.  He wants us to think like God thinks.  Can you think of other examples where our thinking is incorrect, and Jesus teaches us a new way to see things?  Here are a few examples:  Jesus came to serve, not to judge; we are to bless not curse our enemies; the first shall be last.  With each profession of love, Jesus was unlocking Peter's heart.  Finally Peter's response was right on target when he said, "Lord you know everything, you know that I love you."  Now both Peter and Jesus were on the same page.


     As we read Scriptures, it is easy to overlook the intricacies of a passage and miss a lesson.  I often find myself doing this.  Although I read relatively slow, and often re-read a passage multiple times, I have to admit I miss a lot.  I need to remember to pray that my eyes will be opening, but more importantly, I have to remember not to just read but to comprehend.  Although the Bible tells stories, it is not a storybook.


     Let's look at the questions Jesus actually asked Peter.  The first question, "Peter do you love me more than these?"  He is asking Peter to make a comparison of the way that he loves Jesus compared to his fellow disciples.  How could he know the answer to this question, yet he said, "Lord, you know I love you."  It appears he wants to ignore the comparison, but just get down to business and let Jesus know how he feels.  Was this a trick question?  If we are truthful we may find ourselves answering verbally one way, but in our hearts affirming that we actually do love Jesus more than other people do.  Have you ever cast judgment on another?  How's their church attendance? Do they serve in the church?  What's their Bible knowledge?  Is it possible that Jesus was trying to help Peter see himself more clearly?  Why is it that we conclude we can know someone else's heart toward God?  We cannot, only God can. 


     The second and third question appear identical; however, with each response, Jesus provides a different instruction.  By the third inquiry, we see that Peter is hurt or frustrated (depending on what translation you read).  Why do you keep asking me this question?  In all truth; however, Peter's last response is the clearest as he confesses with his lips, "Lord, you know everything, you know that I love you."
 

Evidence of Love 


      In the 14th chapter of John, Jesus taught his disciples how one determines whether they love him or not. (1) John 14:15 says, "If you love me, you will keep my commandments." (2) John 14:21 says, "Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me." (3) John 14:23 says, "If anyone loves me, he will keep my word." (4) John 14:24 says, "Whoever does not love me does not keep my words," and (5) John 14:28 says, "if you loved me, you would have rejoiced because I am going to the Father." It appears that this covers everyone, past, present, and future. Jesus explains that love is demonstrated by listening, then obeying, and serving.   

The Instructions 


     Now let's look at the other side of the story, Jesus' instructions.  Jesus first instruction is to 'Feed my lambs.'  His next instruction is to 'Tend my sheep,' and his third instruction is to 'Feed my sheep.' (John 21:15-17)  So what is Jesus saying?  Is he asking Peter to become a shepherd rather than be a fisherman?  Is he asking him to feed, water, and tend animals?  Why is Jesus talking about lambs and sheep?  Why doesn't he include goats?  Many shepherds would have taken care of all three types of animals.  Why does Jesus give different instructions for lambs than for sheep?



     If all my questions resemble the endless questions of a two-year-old, I've made my point.  There are a lot of unknowns as we read Scriptures.  There are different instructions if you read different translations, and the instructions are in a different order, depending on the translation.  I typically use the English Standard Version, which in this case gives the instructions just as I've stated.  To clarify, a lamb is a baby sheep typically under the age of 12 months.  Just like a child grows through stages from infancy to childhood to adolescence, is Jesus talking about age? Or Maturity? 



  Here is another reference to sheep and goats in the gospel, according to Matthew found in chapter 25 verses 31 - 36.  "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne.  Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.  And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left.  Then the King will say to those on his right, "Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me."  Clearly we have an illustration that sheep are believers, whereas goats are unbelievers.  In this teaching Jesus is illustrating feeding and tending.



     Is Jesus giving Peter instructions to handle lambs different than sheep, or have the animals been lost in translation?  Apparently in the Greek text, there are different words for lamb (arnoin) and sheep (probaton), as well as different words for feed (bosko) and tend (poimaino).  I feel safe to conclude that Jesus was giving different instructions for new believers than for those that were more mature in their faith.  It could be that Jesus was making an impactful statement by repeating himself three times, but I have to believe there is more to this passage than meets the eye. 

What Does Love Got to Do with It? 


     Lastly, let’s tie the two together, what does Peter’s profession of love have to do with the instructions he received from Jesus.  I see it like an 'if / then' relationship.  Allow me to paraphrase.  (1) If you love me, then feed my lambs; (2) If you truly love me, tend my sheep; and (3) if you really, truly love me, also feed my sheep.  When love grows, the desire to show love through our actions typically increases. 



     When I was newly married, I decided to become a better cook and took some classes to learn how to create appetizing meals and desserts for my husband.  I thought I knew what love was.  Later I wasn’t so concerned about making gourmet meals, as I was interested in giving him both delight and nutrition.  After we had kids, I wasn’t as concerned about how the food looked on a plate as I was with whether I had selected the right foods to help our children grow.  I was concerned about health and welfare.  So bite-size pieces weren't attractively arranged on the plate, but at least they wouldn't choke.  I was tending to their needs based on growth and maturity.  Love caused me to view meal preparation and selection of food differently.  Could it be that Jesus was telling Peter, you will feed lambs differently than sheep, pay attention, but feed both?



     Tending means caring for the welfare of someone or something.  Why would Jesus tell Peter to tend the sheep when he didn’t mention tending the lambs?  Could it be that it is more instinctual for sheep to care for their young?  Could it be that we need no reminder to look out for the welfare of the young, yet we need to be reminded to care for the more mature believer?   

Conclusion 


     I believe that including this story in the last chapter of the gospel of John was well placed.  First, John wanted us to know why he was writing (to bring us to salvation).  Then John wishes to show us what a believer who has received salvation would do because of love.  We have Jesus example to show us how to care for others.  It is well-known that the Bible tells us to love God, and also to love our neighbor as our self.  So what does one do with love?  We serve the needs of others, by feeding or nourishing them on the word of God (Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.)   As we serve the needs of others, we also tend to their needs.  We look after their wellbeing, and we serve them.  How does that look?  Ephesians 2:10 shows us our purpose, “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.”  I believe that the passage found in John 21:15-19 tells us that when we believe and love Jesus Christ, this should compel us to do good works on behalf of others, especially Christians.  Where do I get that last part, ‘especially Christians?’  In Galatians 6:9-10 we read, “And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap if we do not give up. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.”    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me A Story

For When (i am) Weak, Then (I AM) Strong

What is a Gotcha Day?