What is a Gotcha Day?


    
    
April 10, 2005


     Little did I know the great blessing the Holy Spirit had in store for me as I read Scriptures this morning (April 10, 2019). I am finding evidence that the Holy Spirit is helping me to grow in understanding as I desire to share His wisdom with others.  This morning I received a gift from Scriptures when I read, “Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb?”  (Isaiah 49:15 ESV) This morning wasn’t the first day I’ve set my eyes on this passage, but the third day.  This verse laid hidden among the rest until it’s time arrived for me to drink it in (a resurrection of sorts).  I found myself in Isaiah after studying a passage in 2 Corinthians 6 where the apostle Paul was making his appeal to the unbelieving Jews in Corinth that it was a favorable time for them to come to salvation.

     I, reminded of Paul’s journey trained at the feet of the great Jewish Rabbi, Gamaliel, who was the first-century leader in the Jewish Sanhedrin, recognize how he (Paul) dug into Scriptures.  To learn more about Gamaliel click this link:  https://www.gotquestions.org/Gamaliel-in-the-Bible.html  We know about Paul’s Damascus Road experience found in Acts 9, and from research, I’ve learned that it may have taken Paul at least ten years before his ministry began to take shape.  Paul joined Joseph Barnabas (the encourager) as a ministry apprentice in the church in Antioch, Syria before receiving an anointing to travel with resources to the poverty-stricken church in Jerusalem.  During those ten years, Paul received training for his mission.  He wasn’t immediately encouraged to preach or teach, although he tried in both Damascus and Jerusalem, and then quickly moved for safety to Tarsus where he was born.  The apostle Paul,  reviewing Scriptures:  The Law and The Prophets, would receive insight (eyes that see and ears that hear) to discover the mysteries hidden to him.  The fulfillment of prophecies became the defense he used to teach the Jews on his many journeys.  Although rejected by many, Paul, under the leadership of the Holy Spirit, would become the ambassador of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles.

     I might call my experience of perusing the Scriptures this week a curiosity; however, God would call it Holy Spirit guidance.  This curiosity, guidance by the power of the Holy Spirit, caused me to backtrack in Scriptures, the same as Paul had faithfully done to teach the Jews.  This cross-referencing or backtracking gave me a beautiful gem intended for my heart this morning.  Today we celebrate fourteen years with our oldest daughter, Gabrielle.  It is her ‘gotcha day.’  As I hugged her this morning before school, she felt so different than the little girl that was laid in my arms so many years ago.  I have often wondered this question that jumped off the pages of my Bible this morning, “Can a woman forget her nursing child that she should have no compassion on the son (daughter) of her womb?”  A custom for me each time we arrive on this date, I pray for Gabrielle’s birth mother wishing that the Holy Spirit would gain access to her heart providing the opportunity for an amazing reunion for our daughter when we arrive together in glory.

     In this passage, the message directed at the children of Israel, specifically to the ones residing in Judah, gave them a warning not to make an alliance with Assyria.  They were to fully-rely on God.  But they, in disobedience, sought their own way. The consequences of their actions would be years in captivity.  This lesson in disobedience could have been where my study turned to a personal application; however, ‘My Helper’ had another thing in mind.  Isaiah told these rebels, “Even these may forget (referring to the nursing mothers), yet I will not forget you.  Behold I have engraved you on the palm of My hands and your walls are continually before Me.”  God promised a homecoming.  I discovered an interesting reference to the “second Exodus” this morning as I looked at commentaries to clear up some questions that I had.  I found myself posing this question to God, “Are we now in the third Exodus while we wait for our homecoming as strangers in a foreign land?”

     I find great joy in my heart that God has granted my husband and I the role of fostering our children through adoption.  We are greatly blessed, but we never forget that He has entrusted us to raise our daughters for Him.  The passage in Isaiah goes on to say, “Who has borne me these?  I was bereaved and barren, exiled and put away, but who has brought up these?  Behold I was left alone; from where have these come?” (Isaiah 49:21b) I can picture in my mind this great reunion as I continued to read, “and they shall bring your sons in their arms, and your daughters shall be carried on their shoulders” (verse 22).  In this passage, the reference points are Zion (asking the questions) and the children of Israel (2nd generation) coming back into the city where they have never stepped foot.  Likewise, I can envision this amazing reunion as future generations from our daughters may someday reunite with the mothers who bore them, but ultimately with the God who created them.

     The pinnacle of this reunion is “then you will know that I am the Lord, those who wait for me shall not be put to shame” (verse 23).  Is this image now engraved in your mind too?  Children in the arms of those who raised them offered back to the great Creator, the King of kings, and the LORD of Lords, the One who breathed life into them.  For me, this reinforces the great responsibility that we’ve been given as parents to make sure that our children know the God who created us.  We cannot abandon our role as parents to make sure that this most vital piece of information escapes them.  There is nothing greater than knowing Christ our Savior.  If we abandon our ministering role, we have no compassion for our children.  Just like Paul who pleaded with both Jews and Gentiles to come to the LORD and accept His salvation, I find the piece that brought me to write this article in 2 Corinthians 6:2, ‘For He says, “In a favorable time I listened to you, and in a day of salvation I have helped you” (quoting God through Isaiah).  “Behold now is the favorable time; behold, now is the day of salvation” (quoting Paul to the unbelievers in Corinth).  Today we celebrate our daughter’s ‘gotcha day,’ but today we can also celebrate our own ‘gotcha days’ as our Father has adopted us as sons and daughters too.  He says to us, “I will not forget you.  Behold I have engraved you on the Palm of My hands.” (Isaiah 49:16 ESV)

Comments

Unknown said…
"A custom for me each time we arrive on this date, I pray for Gabrielle’s birth mother wishing that the Holy Spirit would gain access to her heart providing the opportunity for an amazing reunion for our daughter when we arrive together in glory." I was struck by this passage. What a blessing you are to your children and family and us!
Oh how blessed I was to read this and hear your heart for not only your sweet and precious girls but also for their birth moms. I love the phrase "gotcha day" and how you always find scripture to parallel your heart and that you share it so openly! LOVE your posts! Keep on writing! You are gifted!!

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me A Story

For When (i am) Weak, Then (I AM) Strong