Try Something New



    
     When was the last time that you tried something new?  In the past few weeks, we’ve had several opportunities to do just that.  Our oldest daughter just completed her preliminary course in driver’s education and was ready to operate our vehicle under a learner’s permit.  This experience for her started by sitting at the Secretary of States office for nearly two hours.  What teenager do you know that has the patience for that?  We arrived about twenty minutes after the doors opened, not heeding the advice of the wiser adult who recommended an earlier arrival, we walked through the door and immediately drew the number 62, which meant we were lined up behind approximately 50 equally-impatient people waiting for their turn at the front desk.  Those two hours honestly prepared my heart to turn over the keys to the Mommy Van that my fifteen-year-old would use to drive us to lunch.  Riding as a passenger next to my daughter, now that was something new.
     While on Spring Break from school, our daughters and I decided to plan a few new fun activities to give us memorable experiences.  Often their school activities and homework take up so much time that it is not feasible to explore something new in sewing.  After watching a few Youtube videos, we decided to try machine smocking.  The only requirement was that we purchase elastic thread and hand-wind our bobbins.   Thinking that this would be much more complicated and time-consuming than it was, we found great relief when we learned how pleasurable this experience could be.  We sewed four smocked tunics in a matter of a few hours.  We also learned how to create a lettuce hem on stretch fabric.
     “Brussels Sprouts,” who knew that they would become my next favorite side dish?  So little effort was required to learn how to clean and prepare these little cabbage-like vegetables for roasting.  I added a little sweet onion and garlic to the lightly-oiled vegetable.  It only seemed to take a few minutes before the house filled with the most amazing aroma.  Tossing them with a little balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and honey and then returning them to the roasting dish for a little more caramelization, I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I took my first bite. Equally surprised, I never knew that “Brussels” needed to be pluralized for the correct spelling of Brussels Sprouts.  We tried our hand at creating a cauliflower pizza crust (not bad), and we improved upon our skills of making macarons with chocolate ganache (most excellent).
     One of our daughters decided to try a new hairstyle and allowed the hairstylist to cut off ten inches of her long locks to donate her hair to a worthy cause.  She is also trying a new field event on the high school track team, pole vaulting.  The other daughter is learning to apply a little makeup and has made a recent attempt at building a new thousand-piece puzzle by herself.  I downloaded two new apps on my phone, one to connect our small group with prayer requests, and the other to track daily habits and share progress with a friend.  Things become fresh and stimulating when we challenge ourselves with something new.
     That brings us to the subject of Bible study, our daily devotions.  I have a curiosity; how do you pursue your Daily Devotions?  How do you renew your mind with God’s Word?  Last evening, I asked the members of our small group to talk about their daily practice of getting into God’s Word.  I wanted to know how each of them approached this spiritual discipline.  It was interesting to discover that everyone used an aide (something to supplement God’s Word) to extract meaning from it.  Some used a devotional guide like “The Daily Bread,” “Today” or “Jesus Calling,” while others used an audible method of listening to a program.  Still, others tuned into a local radio station or television program to listen or watch someone talk about God’s Word.  Some used a prepared Bible Study finish one and pick up another.  It made me wonder, why is it that we require so many aides to help us study the Word of God?  Is the Bible intimidating?  Is it difficult to understand?  Are we afraid we will misinterpret it’s meaning?  Is it boring?  Is it difficult to know where to start and stop?  Have we become too reliant on others to teach us?  If I were to ask you, what would you say? 
     I recently decided to try something new.  What would happen if I earnestly sought the guidance of the Holy Spirit to teach me exactly what I needed to know to be equipped to do the work (the will of the Father)?  Would the Holy Spirit show me that He is a reliable guide and could teach me exactly what I needed to learn to face the day, the week, the month, or the year ahead?  Starting first from the guidance of a good pastor, I am learning how to take the Bible and pull applicable meaning from its pages independent of anything other than my Bible, a journal, and a pen.  Each day I discover what the Holy Spirit intends to teach me, and as of yet, I have not been disappointed.  We read, "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the Word of truth."  (2 Timothy 2:15 ESV) I am not using a guided, dated devotional booklet, I am creating my own devotional as I put my pen to paper starting with a date in the upper right-hand corner of my lined notebook paper and begin to write.  I start by reading a passage once, twice, sometimes three times before I am stirred by a single verse or a couple of verses.  I write it down.  Next, I describe who, what, where, when, how and why I believe God put this particular passage in the Bible.  I write my observation.    That helps me avoid taking Scripture out of its context.  Next, I use this observation to create a personal application.  Did I find this story relatable on any level in my life?  What does the Holy Spirit wish to bring to my attention?  I believe that the Holy Spirit role has been clearly defined to be my helper, my counselor, and my guide.  I am just putting Him to work.  He does mind.  I may have to sit with Him a moment or two waiting for Him to call me "grasshopper."  I may ask Him a question or two.  "Why did you have me read this particular passage today?"  "What is my take-away?"  "Why did God make sure this information was given to us over 2,000 years ago to help me in the twenty-first century?"  "What does this sentence mean?"  "What was Paul, Abraham, Cain, Jeremiah, Samuel, King David, or Job thinking about in their circumstance that somehow relates to the common man?"  Sometimes this information comes immediately, sometimes only after I spend a little time in the shower and allow Scripture to seep into my pores.  Sometimes I go to reliable sources and ask questions; then the Holy Spirit recognizes my interest in understanding truth as He would present it.  Once the application begins to percolate in my mind, I can begin to see my deficiency in the matter and come to a place allowing me to pray about its application.  I jot down the application and follow it with a prayer.  I begin to receive my nourishment from the Bible, not someone else's thoughts about what the Bible wants to tell me.
     In Matthew 18:20 we see, "Where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them."  (ESV)   What might we gain if we were involved in a daily Bible reading plan where we all set our eyes independently on the same passages?  Is it possible that the Holy Spirit would speak to you differently than me about the same passage?  I believe it is highly likely that each would have their own take-away.  I can only image how stimulating it would be to see what someone else learned from the same Scripture as the Holy Spirit was equipping them to do the work designed for them.
  When I have wrapped up my reading and writing exercise, I then try to apply a meaningful title to the new knowledge I have acquired in the same way an author of a daily devotion would give us a title to the devotional they have prepared for us to read.  For example, You might find yourself reading Matthew 10 where Jesus sent his twelve disciples out on their first mission trip.  He gives them extensive instructions that:  (a) describe what they are to do, (b) what they are to take, (c) what they are to expect, (d) how they should respond, (e) what they should do if rejected, (f) who they are to bless, and (g) who they are to avoid.  The title I may give my devotional may be “Expect Instructions.”
     After about a week of trying this technique, you will begin to see signs of the Holy Spirits guidance in your life and how He is training you from these simple titles.  For example:
Day One – Expect Instructions (Matthew 10)
Day Two - Truth, to a Believer is a pleasing fragrance (2 Corinthians 2)
Day Three – Look for Opportunities to “Show” or “Do” Love (1 John 3)
Day Four – Our Sufficiency for Bold Proclamation comes from the Spirit of God (2 Corinthians 3)
Day Five – Speak the Truth – It extends grace to others (2 Corinthians 4)
Day Six – We are Ambassadors for Christ; God makes His appeal through us (2 Corinthians 5)
Day Seven – Without Love – we gain nothing, we are nothing, we are “just” making noise (1 Corinthians 13)
The Holy Spirit is equipping me to become more fruitful in my interactions and conversations with others.  By trying something new, it may provide personal testimony to the power of God’s Word.
‘For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.  (Hebrews 4:12, NIV)
In Ephesians chapter six we are told to take on our one offensive weapon to fight the enemy.
‘Take on the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.  And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.  With this in mind, be alert and always keep praying for all the LORD’s people.’ (Ephesians 6:17b-18 NIV)
Have you tried anything new lately?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me A Story

What is a Gotcha Day?

For When (i am) Weak, Then (I AM) Strong