The Gift

   The Gift:


  A friend gave me the most amazing gift for my birthday.  For the past several years we've grown close through a small group setting that allows us to hold each other accountable.  You know you've met a unique individual when you notice how they strive to build an authentic personal relationship with the Lord.  Our conversations always gravitate to truly meaningful discussions.  There is no greater joy than witnessing the spiritual growth in another individual.

     The gift she gave, a Prayer Bowl, was perfectly crafted for me. The purpose of this bowl is to provide a visible reminder for yourself on who or what to pray.  You insert a simple card into the bowl reminding you of the prayer request.  I've set this beautiful porcelain bowl as the centerpiece on my kitchen table.  Not only will this be a simple reminder for me, but it will be an excellent way for my family to participate with me on specific prayer request when taking their turn at mealtime prayers.

     The creator of this unique gift shares a backstory that was very relatable to my journey.  Twenty days past my last birthday I experienced a significant health crisis.  Karen, the prayer bowl creator, tells of a similar plight of having multiple surgeries and a very long recovery.  She says that she later learned of a friend who had prayed for her daily throughout an entire year.  In her story, she reminds us of how easy it is to pray for someone at the moment, but then forget to pray on their behalf until an answer or peace arrives.  Knowing that someone is praying for you, not only in your hour of need but continually is a real blessing.



The Benefit of Trials:


    Far too often we feel that we can control the circumstances of our lives, but there are those moments when we realize that we are entirely powerless.  These are good moments.  I believe that God offers us opportunities to grow in our reliance on Him and stop pretending that we can handle everything.  As tough as times can be, these momentary light afflictions, as Paul calls them in 2 Corinthians 4:17, can shift our entire way of thinking.  Trials are a gift from God.  During my recovery, I was given a more profound revelation of what I should be seeking.  It wasn't a subtle message, it was clear.  It is easy to have irrelevant thoughts and actions control our lives.  Unmasking these thoughts and actions and focusing on things of eternal value is daily, sometimes even an hourly pursuit.  Focusing on eternity teaches me what to invest my energies in.  Prayer is one of the more relevant activities that I am learning to passionately pursue.

     Now that a new year is upon me, I have another friend who is experiencing a significant health crisis of her own. I have a new understanding of the beneficial growth she will experience if she sets her sights on God's purpose. A few days ago she underwent surgery to correct a very painful condition she had been suffering for over a year. Since the surgery that corrected this condition, she finds herself in a far deeper crisis as doctors are trying to help her regain her strength. A Bible verse found in Romans 8:28 (ESV) tells us: "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." We know that God has a purpose in these circumstances and we pray that God will use this situation to increase the faith and equip this friend to do a far greater work for God's glory. I was once told that illness is a microphone. It reveals your heart, and it projects your voice like nothing else.

     When you pray for someone's recovery, don't forget to pray for God's will.  "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD."  Isaiah 55:8 (ESV).  I am reminded of a believers conversation with God in Job 42:2, “I know that you can do all things and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted."  We can be comforted in knowing that our lives hold purpose in God's master plan even when we cannot see or understand.

Prayer Bowls are available through Compassion International.  A dollar from every purchase supports a child.  I am not receiving a paid endorsement for this prayer bowl; it is just a suggestion that it may be the perfect gift for someone you love.

Comments

BEAUTIFUL!! Thank you for this beautiful blog! Now I want a prayer bowl!!

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons Learned - Handling Disappointment

Tell Me A Story

What is a Gotcha Day?