Unsolicited Advice


     When was the last time you confessed a sin to God, or to anyone else for that matter?  As I grow deeper in my walk of faith, I am beginning to feel greater conviction when I fall short of glorifying God, my ultimate purpose.  The Holy Spirit teaches me by bringing Biblical applications to mind.  I felt such leading today.  I sent an apology card to a friend after I realized my error in trying to speak unsolicited truth into her life.  I had acted as if I were God's spokesperson.  I judged, which I would prefer to call an appeal to their senses, but my method was misapplied.  I didn't humbly set myself as an example, nor did I guide her into Scripture.  I spoke through "my" wisdom given from a prideful heart.  I'm sure if I had offered my lips to the Holy Spirit the message would have come forth with much greater clarity.  It is not the first time that I've made this error; I am an experienced sinner.

     In David's second stanza found in Psalm 119 verses 9 through 16, he starts with a question. "How can a young man keep his ways pure?" [1] If the masculine pronoun doesn't feel appropriate as you read this passage, it can easily be rephrased "How can a young woman keep her ways pure?"  David answers his own question by responding, "By guarding it according to your Word." [2] It only took a handful of verses to convict me of my sin.  I hadn't guarded my ways according to God's Word.

     The Holy Spirit brought an understanding to me as I replayed a previous conversation in which I participated.  I offered advice to my friend who had expressed hardship.  Scriptures ask, “Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?” [3] My realization was this:  I shared something in common with Job's friends found in the book of Job.  They, Job's friends, offered advice to him trying to give insight into why his life was so troubled.  Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar all offered lengthy speeches, but ultimately their opinions did not find favor with God.  God spoke to them saying, "My anger burns against you and against your two friends, for you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has." [4]

     How often I find myself playing the role of God in advising others who struggle.  I believe what God desires more is that I listen, I ask questions, and I lead others to God's Word in light of their circumstances.  It is not for us to judge what God intends to teach others.  How often can I feel gratitude that I'm not living someone else's life?  Or how helpful is it to gain understanding by observing outside of the heat of suffering?  It is from a clearer space that we should be able to steer people into Gods' Word.  My opinion, on the other hand, is only worth about a dime a dozen.

     David goes on to say, "With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments.  I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you." [5] David knew the Scriptures.  He made it a priority.  The best gift we can give to those around us is to store up Gods' Word in our heart so that we can point others to passages that can teach them Gods' ways.  It is not for us to interpret, but to offer.  If someone asks us to explain, that is a better time to provide our opinion. 

     David is quick to ask for assistance, as he did in the first eight verses.  Now he requests, "Teach me your statutes, and fix my eyes on your ways." [6] He gives God a few commitments in asking when he says, "I will meditate on all your precepts, I will delight in your statutes, and I will not forget your word." [7] David loved the Word of God.  He said that he delighted in them "as much as all the riches." [8]     Even Jesus reminds us, "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." [9] 

My Prayer:  Dear Heavenly Father, I pray like David, asking that you ‘fix my eyes on your ways,’ help me ‘to seek you with my whole heart and let me not wander from your commandments.’  I pray this is your Sons’ precious name.  Amen.

Endnotes:

All Scripture was retrieved from www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/(scripture references in English Standard Version) – accessed 11/14/18

[1] Psalm 119:9; [2] Psalm 119:9; [3] Matthew 7:3; [4] Job 42:7; [5] Psalm 119:10-11; [6] Psalm 119:12,15; [7] Psalm 119:15,16; [8] Psalm 119:14; [9] Matthew 6:22

    

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me A Story

For When (i am) Weak, Then (I AM) Strong

What is a Gotcha Day?